Mountain Buzz banner

Ultra-light cat/rafting

Tags
rafting
21K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  dgoods 
n all seriousness I am curious if anyone is out there running minimalist style. I suppose this may be more geared towards people with small cats but I want to hear your ideas! How you rig, what you cook, and what you carry (or lack there of). Is anyone out there packing 5 day trips into a 60L drybag?
Oh hey I think I got forwarded a message from st2eelpot from you. yeah anyway I have a sabertooth frameless cat that I actually run with a light raft frame. I can take all my stuff plus a pvc poop tube for a multi-day trip. this is pretty handy when you think you might need to carry the boat. for small groups of kayakers I can carry an oil pan/firepan and a 2 burner partner with a 5lb propane plus some booze. You can also go backpack stove style. good rivers for this setup are jarbidge/bruneau, owyhee, south fork salmon, upper animas, low water sewlay, etc.

for really light trips take a look at that new packraft. you could hike for days and then fire up some cool stuff.

As for ultra-light boating, light boating or any other minimalist activity, it's not for me. For me, comfortable camp time is just as important as time on the water.
Most rafters are like elk here and go RV style all the time. I think there is a time and place for that but there is also a time for backpacker style boating to get you to the more remote and difficult places. I have a great story about people trying to RV style boat on a remote multi-day river and it was a disaster for them and a lot of work for us trying to rescue their asses days on end. anyways pearen, dgosn, raftus, gumbydamnit, st2eelpot, faucet butt, and utrafter lets do that trip next spring 100+ miles plus portages, class iv and v and whiskey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.