Mountain Buzz banner

Ultra-light cat/rafting

Tags
rafting
21K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  dgoods 
Consider too putting the weight where you have to. For remote class 4/5 water I always carry a well stocked wrap kit, first aid, maps of the area w/access points, emergency lightweight food...For groups of 4 or more I do like to bring my 2 burner partner stove w/break-apart hinges and a small, light propane tank.

Aside from that, use a jetboil, a mega-mid/ultralight shelter, dehydrated food and substitute your beer for good quality whiskey. A lightweight crazy creek chair, ultralight insulated air mattress. I have an Engle 30qt drybox/cooler combo box I occasionally bring for any perishables.

Just like a backpack, all the grams add up. Get the best quality gear you can rely on and shave weight where you can. I'd be leery of using single chamber cat tubes, but some consider the weight savings worth the potential risk.

Thought I'd revive this thread and try to get back on track with the op's intent of discussing lightweight multi-day rigs- rather than what repair material is best for wiping your ass with...

This past summer I made my seasonal journey to the Yellowpine region of Idaho to cat boat some of the classics in that area. We did two laps on the EFSF/SFS. On my 14' Ocelot I did carry a small dry box which weighs about 14lbs empty. For our two runs our group size varied from 3 on the 1st lap and 6 on the 2nd. We went fairly light-bringing a 2 burner partner stove, katadyn gravity water filter/empty jugs and filled at camp, wagg bag system/plastic bucket/lightweight shelters... certainly could've gone lighter.

A dry box is peace of mind in bear country-not fool-proof, but better than just a dry bag for food/kitchen set-up. (a food bag is pretty easy to hang, but not a kitchen bag...)

I could've definitely paired down my personal gear to a smaller dry bag and fewer clothes. After this trip I sold my ocelot tubes and bought a pair of demo 12,6' legend tubes- a bit lighter, but IMO, significantly better performance on steep, technical rivers.

I use a PRE high clearance frame. The box sits high enough to straddle large rocks and I strap small/med-sized dry bags in nooks along the frame and inner-tubes.

I also carried a full wrap kit and repair kit w/tools, extra valves, oar locks...K-pump rather than a carlson...

Next spring/summer season I look forward to going lighter and simpler for my wilderness/expedition rig.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.