Mountain Buzz banner

Ultra-light cat/rafting

Tags
rafting
21K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  dgoods 
Talk with some ultralight backpackers and pick their brains about how they pack, what they bring, etc. It certainly can be done. Many of them don't use tents. They use hammocks & tarps for sleep. They carry small stoves and minimal cook kits. They make their own freeze dried food, and they minimize on weight and size of gear wherever they can.

However, there will always be things that boaters have to bring, that backpackers don't.....more repair & safety stuff, groover, fire pan, ash can, shovel, etc. I still have my 10 foot Outcast mini-cat, and I've started kayak touring, so I've been switching my mindset to UL alternatives.

Here's the chair I got for kayak touring. It's a Travelchair Joey. Similar to the Big Agnes Heliox, just a bit taller. Easy for me to get in & out of with a bum knee, comfy, and packs down super small.

+1 on the Partner two burner with take apart hinge. I love mine. Small, but you can separate the sides and still get a bigger pot on it.

I LOVE my helinox chair...so freakin comfy and small/lightweight enough that it is my backpacking chair too. With that and my hammock I could stay in the woods forever. Otherwise my back starts acting up too much.

I'm a bit of a weight nazi when it comes to other people's gear. A lot of times I tell them bring clothes for x days, bedding and a *small* shelter. I'll bring and plan the rest. Otherwise they end up bringing entire cast iron cook sets and a 20'x14' canvas outfitter tent. Alot of the take outs I use are less than convenient, so I always have an eye out for weight reduction. Thats one of several reasons I love my NRS Revolution (urethane).

My external frame pack usually weighs in at about 26lbs w/o food or water when backpacking. But I carry some heavier comfort items including that chair ^, pump filter, chacos (wear boots or vice versa), gun etc...

I always think how easy it would be to boat camp this way, but then I think of all the space I can fill with cold beer.
26 lb. base weight on your pack is pretty darn good.

I think overall, I'm with okieboater.....I like the extra comfort items. My tent is a bit bigger to fit my roll-a-cot, and for extra standing height. I bring a comfy chair. I love dutch oven cooking. The older I get, the more I appreciate the comfort items. That's my I'm a rafter, not a backpacker. On the flip side, I can totally see where folks are running some stuff in smaller cats where going light & small has a big advantage. My goal with my touring kayak is to find the balance between comfort & lighter/smaller. I have to keep reminding myself that anything I add is more weight that I have to move across the water with my paddle and portage. Here's another picture of my lighter weight alternative for kayak touring....
MSR Windpro stove, GSI mini table

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.