Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey there,
I was hoping to get some beta about when it usually flows ..how long is the trip going to be etc from folks who have done it in the past .... I can't stop dreaming about this place for some reason!
Also, was hoping to find some fellow paddlers to paddle it (and possibly some other swell runs).

shaggadelically,
assad

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It's the #1 run on my list right now. I'll start driving the instant I here it's going. Got a couple other's who're interested if the timing works out. Keep an eye out.... Shoot me a message if you decide to go.

COUNT

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Hey... I think we met a couple times last summer (# & Westy?). There are a couple of us looking into a run early April. I've hiked it before. Around 16 miles, decent shuttle. We hired it when we hiked it. I'll let you know if it happens. The gang is pretty good at follow through. Snow pack is looking good.

Laurie

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Hey Derk... didn't realize it was high on your list. Please let me, Amy & Matt know... we could have a Mexico reunion!

Laurie

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yeah, I've actually been talking about trying to make a weekend over-nighter and combine it with Sinawava. Any body who's done it know if there's any place you could camp somewhere shortly above or below the take-out? Doesn't have to be anything great, just room for a couple sleeping bags and the opportunity to prolong the experience in the box. Would this be a reasonable idea? Just thinking....

D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Strange to see CO lusting our runs(usualy the other way around). Zion runs are generaly late March early April. The swell runs generaly go about the same time. We are having a epic snowfall year(Swell ought to run early april to late may depending on melt). Last year the virgin river running group posted a picture of a guy standing in a lush field with the header"heres your runoff". If y'all are coming out keep it posted. The SL crews will most likely come down and meet ya. As far as snow pack...keep it coming. For the record, the virgin ran at two grand two weeks ago. Flashy, but you take what you can get.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've been looking at Zion as well. Definite must do! I'm game. This year is going to be so sweet. Things are going to rage! :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah we met ...

Laurie,
We met more than a couple times, but I dont thing at Wsty (ran it Sept) and Numbers (ran it Sept as well). I think you were coming off of upper Mish and we were just launching for lower mish (May?)
Anywho, keep me posted. I am in for sure.

-assad

Hey... I think we met a couple times last summer (# & Westy?). There are a couple of us looking into a run early April. I've hiked it before. Around 16 miles, decent shuttle. We hired it when we hiked it. I'll let you know if it happens. The gang is pretty good at follow through. Snow pack is looking good.

Laurie

·
Registered
610 Posts
It's exactly the "Flashy" bit that worries me. Don't think I want to be in a slot canyon that committing when it is flashing and bringing all kinds of crap down on my head.

Is 2k full on flashing bringing trees down river/changing rapids or is it just a "high" flow?

I Re-e-eally want to do this but I would have to make it in a Friday afternoon to Sunday night type of deal.

MR

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's exactly the "Flashy" bit that worries me. Don't think I want to be in a slot canyon that committing when it is flashing and bringing all kinds of crap down on my head.

Is 2k full on flashing bringing trees down river/changing rapids or is it just a "high" flow?

I Re-e-eally want to do this but I would have to make it in a Friday afternoon to Sunday night type of deal.

MR
I was mostly being sarcastic. 2000 is scary as hell. Not much wood worry in that area, but you'd be committed. During normal run off it is generaly consistent and good to go. Just remember to check the forecast for rain clouds up north before you get on. I beleive you are looking for 700 to a grand.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Check the weather for big storms before dropping in. As far as camping goes, in the bottom miles of the Narrows there are some very tall beaches/hills that would offer high and dry camping, most of which are after Orderville, and before the tourists and road. For a higher up spot, we ate lunch at a good potential location at the confluence of the tribs. Not as good of scenery as the spots towards the end though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
REAL flash

This should get you nervous about flashfloods... Anyone who was in there in '67 or thereabouts had a hell of a ride. 9100 cfs in that canyon would be a hell of a sight.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Bring a lot of mind-alterants, the first 7 hours are on 14 cfs. Both times I did it the Zion was cranking but Orderville is the majority of the run and you will be hoping for a flash flood for 7 straight hours. The entire run is Class 2-3, even the 15'er so other than log jam potential and other flash flood hazards a flash flood would not be too terrible. Fun Class 4 section interspersed with flatwater from the narrows take-out down a few miles with a free shuttle back up. The Black Boxes of the San Rafael rule, however the last 12 miles of the 2nd black box requires significant mind-alterants as well. Basically you are'nt prepared for Southern Utah Kayaking unless you have mind-alterants. Basically if you don't have the Southern Rockies GuideBook your a JONG.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Anybody got any pix of any of the above? AWA only has a couple. Flowtorch, if those are pix your tried to post, they're not makin' the trip here.

Thx.
AJ

·
Registered
39 Posts

Laurie
I hiked it as well and thought how cool a paddle it would be. A friend and I are planning a run in the spring. I'd like to run below the temple as well, but he isn't in for that. Please keep me in the loop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts