Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dam is still moving ahead. I would like to kayak the Zambezi before it is Lake Powell.

A couple questions. The lower water is "Late-July to Mid-January" when the guiding companies run the upper rapids. I am guessing this is the better season for kayaking. When should we go?

The wetter half of the year the guide companies run the lower rapids.

Anyone run the Zambezi? Any advice is welcome.

Any recommended kayak guide companies?

Bring a boat, or find a company that rents there?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Low water is when you want to be there- the river is steeper, and a ton of fun! It sounds like everyone puts in below #10 during the wet season, so you would miss the top half of the daily stretch.

October is pretty prime- it's hot, so being on the water is a welcome relief.

The river isn't super difficult, but some swims would be terrible- lots of big boily water in more than a few places. You'll see a lot more crocs if you go all the way down to Kariba, and there are a couple of portages.

The Zambia side is cheaper, and the situation there is currently a bit more stable, but I found the Zimbabwe side to be more convenient. Just my 2 cents.

SAFPAR and Shearwater are the biggest and best games in town in Zambia, and Wild Horizons in Zimbabwe. It's also super easy to cross the border. It's also cheaper and easier to fly into Victoria Falls versus Livingstone.

Bring a boat, and any other retired gear you have. Guides and porters will thank you for anything you leave with them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don’t worry if Zambezi gets damned up just go to Russia, and run the river with the book of legends in Russia but it is stupid that some Chinese guy is daming up the Zambezi to generate electricity for his hotel, as if it’s the only way to generate electricity, there’s other ways to generate electricity like a wind mill farm or one of the solar panel things and since Asians are so fond of technology find a new way to make electricity especially if they can build an artificial moon. China must really hate Africa first they hunt there elephants, then they go and slaughter their donkeys for some Chinese medicine now they are destroying their river and Africa is too soft to stop them, Russia would never let this happen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts