Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the season looms closer, our thoughts turn to the river. For some (yours truly included), it's a new adventure into the unknown, and are looking for guidance. I've seen quite a bit of talk about attending various guide schools.

Many rivers have multiple outfitters and rafting companies running the same stretches. And many of those outfitters each have their own guide school. It stands to reason that not all guide schools are created equal.

What I would like is some advice on EVALUATING those various guide schools to determine what would best suite an individual's needs. A list of questions, perhaps, and follow-up questions.

For example:

Does your guide school focus more on rowing or paddling?

Does your guide school focus more on day trips or multi-day?

What/how many rivers (in a given area) does your guide school actually raft down? Am I going to get exposure to multiple rivers, or just learn concepts on a single stretch of river?

For those seeking employment: How many do you expect to hire from your guide school? What additional requirements do I need? If there is a possibility of employment, does XYZ limitations work for you (like weekends only, or wednesdays off, or ect)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is this a question for you (as the author) or are you posing some hypotheticals to help guides in training find the right company/situation?

·
Beginner
2,484 Posts
I think you maybe over complicating this abit...
I agree. Here's how it usually works:

Pay hundreds of dollars. Go rafting every day. Pay attention to the more experienced guides that get good tips and learn from them. Crash. Flip. Get stuck. Repeat. You'll be good at it in five years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts