Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I killed my ankle and leg while doing a freeride mtn bike trail and am laid up once again. I decided to start a few threads that will make for good reads from the buzzards.

Gary

My favorite thing about kayaking is searching for that perfect moment we all have had while paddling. I like the focus I get above a big and scary drop (it's like tunnel vision). I like seeing some of my closest friends smiling and sharing what we have or are doing; looking up into the chaos after a run and knowing for this day the river made you special. The beauty of the unseen places that only a small watercraft can get to. The serenity and peacefulness, the campfires and the quality of people you spend these moments in life with.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That shit eatin grin you wear the whole time your on the water hidding the fact that you maybe scarded shitless or having the time of your life! And the paddlers you call friends who know which grin it is and let you know how funny it is to see you sportin it!
RandyP

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow. That was surprisingly poetic from someone who's primary occupation on this website seems to be shit-talking. Was this the mountainbike trail you call Turkey Creek?

But to answer your question, it's got to be the adrenaline rush I get from successfully navigating a challenging rapids in places no one will ever see unless they are in a boat. All this knowing that the river cannot be conquered but will always ultimately win.

·
Registered
834 Posts
My favorite thing about kayaking is that conditions are always good somewhere during the season. It's not like a lot of other sports that rely on the planets to line up in order for conditions to be prime. I know that my favorite runs are going to be going off every year at about the same time.

·
Registered
679 Posts
boating new water
feeling that rush of adrenaline when you're on new water and don't know what's around the corner but you can sort of hear it
boating with your buds
your buds inviting you to come along and step up to the next level
the feel of the water under your boat
beautiful scenery (even if it's a roadside run)
feeling cocky and confident then getting put back in place by the power of water

that's at least a start

·
Registered
65 Posts
nowhere

the feeling of being out in the middle of nowhere above a huge drop that you know you just don't have the option of not making your line. and then the feeling you get when you're sticking the crux of that line knowing that no matter what happens when you get off the river it's never going to be as consequencial as that moment which then, in the pool below gives you an incomparable feeling of peace.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I like driving around Boulder with my squirt, creek, & playboat on my car so I look cool;)
Driving down the road and you see someone with those boats on their car and wondering a) if you've ever boated with them, and b) where they're going, and c) why you aren't with 'em. . .

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I like the unyielding guarantee that Gary will injure himself once every 14 months; thereby insuring that we will once again endure Edgeworth shenanigans; up to and including:
  • egg-tossing at No-Fun
  • brawlin' with BV high schoolers
  • goading his buddies into 'letting their hair down'
  • Moving to Jackson...then to CO...then to Glenwood...then to Dgo...then to ????
  • shit-talking on the Buzz
Love ya buddy. Take it easy on the Ben and Jerry's while you're watching "The View", Pillowbiter.

My favorite emoticon ever:

·
Registered
929 Posts
-Its 103 out and your not sweating
-Telling girls in the bar that you are a bad ass mofo kayaker and they tell you to f off
-Doing a new run that you have never done before with people that have never ran it so you are getting out of your boat every two minutes cause you think that the class V+ rapid is ahead and every turn could mean ice cream
-The smell your booties make inside your boat and then it waifs into your nostrils when you pull of the skirt

·
Registered
157 Posts
  • Blue Angeling something hard with your boys, and not worrying about anyone. Just charging.
  • Greasin a line
  • Boofing, S turns, Slides
  • Ice cream & mustaches
  • Surfing.
and all the other stuff about being in the now,the moment, the memories and the anticipation of the next trip or rapid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
THat slow-mo feeling you get when you have no choice but to hop over a rock into a massive hole...the feeling that says heck yeah this is gonna be awesome

·
Registered
85 Posts
-The fact that "scared shitless" and "having the time of your life" become synonymous
-Being insane enough that you think strapping yourself in a little plastic boat and throwing yourself off big drops is fun.
-The moment in the middle of a big rapid when you cease to notice anything outside your boat and the water becuase you're trying so hard to stay upright.
-Getting trashed in a hole then pretending it was intentional "playboating"

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
El Flaco, first let me start by saying no fun is 4+ at best, unless it's over 450. If you run left just above the falls it is 4- and you are scared bitches. So on these notes eggs were mandatory.

It was Salida HS

As for "letting your hair down" all you need to say is thank you Gary! Thanks for taking me down Vallecito my first time. Oh Yeah, and for putting my skirt on for me cause I was shaking above entrance so bad I couldn't do it myself. Oh, and for Bailing you out of Jail and driving through the night. You're welcome!

Love Jackson, just wish we had good kayaking here. You keep firing up those foothills and leave the big mtns for the men.

Love my ben and jerrys, not sure what the view is. At the rate I'm going with my tv i'm sure i'll know soon.

See above for random shit talking.

HMMM- new thread coming

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
kayakin memories

watching your friends get chundered in tunnel!

smoking where nobody else has!

that feeling of dropping off that lip and being completely in the moment till you pull it off or get worked

boofing and blunting.

playboating everything

·
Registered
269 Posts
Self support

That dark space under your boat when you get inverted and aerial

Looking at the spaces, not the rocks

Drysuits on cold days

Feeling like you are surfing the best feature in the country

Doing a new trick, drop, or run for the first time. Like Daniel D said: "You only get one chance to run a drop blind"

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
#1: My very favorite part is how you have bills to be paid, misery at work, women on the phone, family in trouble, but yet for the duration of a kayaking trip be it 3 hours or a month, you simply think about kayaking, scenery and your friends. No matter how bad the trouble is. No matter what I've done (lose jobs, girlfriends, and respect) or how bad I'm feeling before (aches, tiredness, wet gear, overcast) - I've never regreted a single day of boating or what I had to do to get there.

#2: Plus when you stomp and simply cannot deny the fist pump.

#3: The community of true friends who understand the above and have been trying since the first stroke to describe it to others. I've never not wanted to have a beer with another whitewater boater.

Joe

1 - 20 of 31 Posts