Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm coming out to Colorado with a group of friends the second week of June. I'm interested in knowing what your favorite class 3+/4- runs are. We'll have 5 days of paddling so if you want to list your top 5 that would be great. Thanks so much!
Elizabeth :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
lake fork of the gunnison

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Numbers
Upper Eagle
Upper/Lower Mish/Poudre Park/Bridges
Royal Gorge
Browns

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
colo runs

there are numerous amounts of good class 3 four runs, diffenetely check out the ark has alot of runs, big horn sheep canyon, (parkdale section) and royal gorge can be done in one long trip, numbers, fractions and everything inbetween check out the ark june 14 15 16 17 it is the fibark in salida alot of fun,

·
Registered
276 Posts
1.Find
2.it
3.out
4.your
5.self

How dare you make one post and ask for insider info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok You Devil

All right Devil's Advocate....I see there's no southern hospitality over there.
Ha Ha. Actually I graduated from CU so I know a good bit about Colorado. I do read mt. buzz but I'm just not a big "poster" Unfortunately I wasn't paddling while I was in school. This will be my second trip out to paddle. Last time we did Upper Rustic and Poudre Park, Alto Alto SBC, Royal Gorge, Numbers, Taylor Canyon, Bogan Canyon (Crystal) and Clear Creek. And you're right....I'm looking for the secret stash.... I'm particularly interested in knowing if Gunny Gorge is worth doing and wondering what I've overlooked. Thanks everybody for your input. I'd love to have more if you feel like it...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Gunny Gorge is definitly worth doing. It was one of my favorite trips last year. Imagine the Royal gorge without all the people, steal or concrete. It's not a bad one day float in a kayak but there are lots of side canyons that beg to be explored so if you can get the support I'd do it over a weekend. The drive to the putin REQUIRES 4 wheel drive, and its about a mile hike in to the river.

·
Registered
501 Posts
base on the Ark

Southerngal,

I highly recommend basing your visit here in Salida and Buena Vista. Granite through Browns is a lot of great water that you don't have to constantly be on the road for. A short drive to the Taylor to do Lotus Creek campground on down is good. The Lake Fork is good. And there is some awesome creeking around. The weather is great and you mellow down easy by staying in the area instead of doing the road rage all over the state. Come on over. Cheers! --kv

·
Abron Cabron
611 Posts
From the Ark it's only a couple hours To NM....

The lower Taos Box and the race course (Pilar run) on the Rio Grande are great III -ish to IV runs here in Northern NM, with local creeking possibilities as well. Not as much going on as CO, but at least there's some goods here in the desert....:) The Box actually gets better @ 7-800 and up,it will be running soon,hopefully(!) the RC is good to go down to dirt, but I would'nt make the drive unless you could do both runs. have fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts