Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1- NF of the slate- It's a paddlers drop. Not a one stroke move. You need 7 precise strokes, solid in the head to make it. Each move has something to wreck you.

2-Jacobs Ladder through taffy- It's fast and warm. Demanding moves with big rewards. Got the pencil sharpner in it and is insane to look into as you pass it. Great move at rock drop and a great boof at taffy, all with a price of admission.

3-Spirit Falls-Biggest 33ftr ever. Beautiful place and unreal aqua blue water. Big air!

4-Harmon Falls-Awesome entrance move with huge boof potential. The left move on d2 and it's on. Fast and cold, great drop.
4a-Best boof in the east-Ramsey Cascade run-you paddle down this 10ft slide hauling ass. It then takes you back up this smooth rock 15ft and launches you 10ft out 15ft high. Awesome feeling hitting that right.

5-Cherry Bomb-Big and fast in an amazing gorge. Auto boof at 20 mph into a one stroke nasty hole. 800ft deep and reminds you how small you really are.
5a-Gorilla- as my boy chris said-"you can spank it low or high. The only difference is at one level it's a mad chimpanse(sp) and at the other level it's an angry silver back gorilla"

·
Registered
820 Posts
My front range heavy, mere mortals list:

1) Slideways- it has a clean 8 foot boof, a fast chute into a big hole, and even the lead in and run-out are fun.

2) Tunnel- because its pretty hard to hit a clean boof down the center but so fun when you get it. And because of the butterflies in the stomach in the eddy above it- all the more reason to just go.

3) No Fun Falls- fast lead in, holes, more holes, and then waterfall.

4) Clear Creek Narrows- its long, has a bunch of fun moves, and hauls ass at high water.

5) Barrel Springs- because we almost never get to paddle big water around here.

·
Registered
95 Posts
1-Unnamed big drop Dead River, MI-20' stairstep drop into a small pool perched above a 20' freefall. Perfect drop, hole on the lead in, boat falls behind the curtain head outside of it.

2-Drop below one above-must hit 7 foot boof angling sideways into a pool, then trip down the 30 yard class V rumble into a swirpool above a sieve. Must make eddy.

3-Big Smoky Falls, Wolf River, WI-awesome class III lead in to 7 foot falls...big curtain and big fun in big water!

4-Carp River Canyon-whole thing is one continuous rapid. Start with class III lead in waves and holes..fans out to 5' auto-boof ledge land in pool above 15' falls with a flake mid level to boof...land in current and trip down class III eddyless water to 20 foot falls, must boof right side (lands on flat rock) land in tiny pool above staircase drop->10 footer onto 7 foot ledge o' foam and flat rock, current rips you straight off another 8 footer into meaty hole...then you're done! Nonstop action, #4 on the list because it's scary as shit.

5-Park and Huck, Dead River, Marquette, MI-one waterfall, flatwater above, class II-III below. Park, hike and huck your meat anywhere off of it, be it the 60foot slide into the meaty hole/whirlpool or take the creekier lines through the stairsteps of the mid line into the crevice and off the autoboof.

Michigan whitewater is the bestest.

·
Registered
65 Posts
1) Number 5 - SW Mystery Stash: Sweet lead in with a gnarly hero route in the middle above the falls which has a nasty terminal hole.
1a - Number 1 because it trumps anything i've ever whitnessed when it's at 1600cfs and above ( i ran it at 350cfs scared $#!7less to give you an idea ) the waterfall turns into a massive waterslide sized tongue that slams into the walls creating a huge seam flowing through a narrow passage next to an undercut, etc, etc, etc... INCREDIBLE

2) Devil's slides - NF Willow Creek: This isn't one rapid so much as a series of MASSIVE slides and falls in california with some clean sections and some super gnar power tech lines.

3) 4:20 gorge - MF Kaweah: actually everything on the MF Kaweah, but the 4:20 gorge at low water has a few drops in it that are made from huge boulders leaning against each other that create super fun barely scoutable angle boofs.

4) Big Lebowski - Christopher Creek: Huge, Scary, Beautiful, Unique, GRANITE!

5) Huckin Huge Falls - on blank creek (hh stories): This really should be my number 1 but since it's illegal i made it number 5. at 52' it's my first big fall, i didn't swim, but it wasn't pretty ;)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My favorites are based on the BOOF factor
KirschBaum.....boofalicious
Heart Attack..... easy huge Boof
Slideways....Technical with nice boofs into nice eddies
Sock'em Dawg......looks easy to hit it but takes percision to BOOF
Can't remember the names of the rapids but Dinky Creek is a boof fest!!

PS TUNNEL

·
Registered
648 Posts
Two responses...

Mine

1. Cottonwood Rapid, Arkansas River, CO - It's just so damn much fun, plus you can get out and do it again.

2. Powerline Rapid, Rio Grande River (LTB) NM - That wicked tongue wave below the big boulder slightly right of center. Terrible teens flow makes it a good place for a watch-this airborne show.

3. The Esses, Cossatot River, AR - Short, sweet, definitely keeps you honest with it's tight eddies (and damn small ones at that).

4. Entrance falls, Vallecito, CO - ouch, ouch, ouch, my shoulder still hurts.

5. Tombstone Rapid, Colorado River, Glenwood Canyon - Just about as pure fun as you could ask for, and so close to the highway.

Henry's

1. Smelter, he had 2 clean runs on it, 4 swims on it. He held onto his paddle one time.

2. Swimming Hole drop, Lyons, CO - It had a perfect rooster tail for him to slide down on.

3. Zuni Street Dam, South Platte River, Denver, CO - Best boof-stroke spot for him, he cleans it like he owns it.

4. C-470 & Santa Fe drop structure, South Platte River, Littleton, CO - First place he learned to surf well on.

5. The Chutes, South Platte River, Deckers, CO - The big water slide at 450 cfs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Only 5????? Crap, that's a tight list......

1) Jake's through the Golf Course on the N.F. Payette: Big commitment, high visibility factor in case you f*&% it up, and waaaaayyy too much fun when it all goes right. Very long and demanding.

2) Balls to the Wall, Clark's Fork Yellowstone Box. Steep, fast, long. High penalty points for messing up the entry, and most people are running it with overnight gear, which adds to the difficulty and satisfaction factors. The name says it all, if you've got 'em you can run it right.

3) Curtain Falls, Bald Rock Canyon. No, it ain't very hard in and of itself, but it takes a lot of skill to get to it and to finish the run below it, and there's simply no more photogenic pure waterfall to be found.

4) Superslide, South Fork Merced. A lot like Curtain, in that it's what it takes to get you to it and away from it that makes it the signature drop of this amazing run. Stellar photos here, too, with that giant hole at the bottom that looks like no one is coming out of.

5a) Nightmare, Grand Canyon of the Elwha (WA), a new favorite for a lot of reasons: unscoutable (from less than 100yds above it), unportageable, must-run drop in a long walled-in dark gorge that delivers death on the right but goes like your favorite lover on the left, paddled with a boat full of self-support gear. One of the wildest mind f*&%s I've ever had paddling.

5b) Helicopter, Devil's Canyon on the Middle Feather. A long-time favorite for some of the same reasons as Nightmare above: pretty much only scoutable from above on left, unportageable unless you want to make your party wait an hour while you do a climb that's worse than swimming the drop, and a line that looks a lot sicker than it turns out to be with very few real consequences. One of my earliest mind f*&$s on another classic self-support trip. For me, it always adds to the spice when the car isn't a mere ten minute walk away.

·
Registered
808 Posts
-#3 of the bottom 4 on yule. hi-speed love.
-pine creek continuous big fun, w/ moderate pucker factor
-juicer and crunch at 5k+ relatively safe hugeness
-terminator [futa] even the sneak is nerve-wracking
-south mineral 20'er. gorgeous surroundings, clean and safe drop

honorable mentions:
barrell springs
oceana
fuzzy bunny

·
Registered
65 Posts
Golly, reading some of this gets my heart rate up. Who's got pix?
1) Number 5 (The hole cody is going through will stomp you at the right levels, and the hole at the falls is fine if you hit your boof, if not you better have a few ropes ready)

2) Devil's slides (If you thought i was kidding when i said MASSIVE...)

3) Middle Kaweah (AW Pic - not mine)

4) Sorry it's not better Quality

5) Pee your pants type of fun

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
That's a toughie. Nothin' like Edge here, but:

5. Hair to Colliseum on the Ottowa: big water haystack fun with some big holes to miss.

4. Everything on the Upper Petawawa, high water: hero lines, technical creeky lines, big boofs, sticky holes. Plus it feels so good after hiking 5K for it.

Dropping the Falls.jpg The Dragon's Tongue.jpg The Second Boof.jpg

3. Gore: Lots'o'lines

2. Z-Gorge, WFCC: sweet rapid zigzagging through the vertical walls with a couple of good moves.

1. Top V on Bluegrass, no stopping in the mellow stuff between the two sets: Clean 15'er to funky 8'ish flake boof to some good creekin' boogy to one bend of mellow before it picks up again with some good holes to toilet bowl move to 10' slide-to-ski jump over 15'er, holes, corner, couple more good drops before the confluence. Warm water. 'Nuff said.

Estes-Bluegrass 055.jpg Estes-Bluegrass 058.jpg Estes-Bluegrass 065.jpg
Estes-Bluegrass 068.jpg Estes-Bluegrass 077.jpg

0. Everything I haven't run because there's nothin' like coming around that blind corner and seeing the mayhem below the horizon line you didn't scout. Daniel had it right.

Honorable mentions go to:

Zume Floom-Got me hooked from the age of 4.
#5-Cut my teeth on the endless number of lines you can take through here.

White Granite Gorge on the Salt:Amazing geology to paddle through.
IV+ to sticky hole above 30'er on El Salto: there's nothing like travertine.

Mexico 244.jpg

Turkey Creek-Some sweet drops in there nobody knows about. Oh, if only it were clean...

gc_camera-040.jpg

Note: I didn't take the pictures for Gore, Salto, Turkey, the Pet, or WFCC.

COUNT

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
5 not in order.

1. supermax on north fork south platte, bailey,

2. tunnel gore canyon colo.

3. the main event on bluegrass creek and the feeling of being crushed from being so deep! running bucking bronco blind because your back strap breaks in your agent 6.2 at the s bend right above the scouting eddy. makes it all the more fun!

4. all of the unnamed rapids on deer creek central wyoming, 30ftr

5.the upper run of the shosone cody wy, is pool drop and is clean from the seive down low water micro creeking some good drops! than it gets better with a classic boof at customs!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honorable mentions- Walker Ranch- SBC This should be in my top 5. Boof into hall way at 2mph and land at 10mph into a twisting, wall crashing great boof over a huge hole. Also it gave Forrest an awesome beating while I cheered for the hole. On top of that, Forrest tried to walk it before I made him, give er! He's a hard one to swim though.

Oceana- like this pic. Fast, blinding and huge!

Supermax- also like this pic. Can catch 7 eddies and make some nice moves and a great boof.

Gore is a great pic also- alot of lines for sure. Love this rapid

Slideways- great rapid for sure. Love this rapid

Barrell over 8g could be there. fast and twisting with rocks under the water, and not that far under.

5k juicer/ crunch- HUGE! Great rapids

Superslide- Nice very nice.

Helicopter- love the name and the reason for it

So many great drops.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice thread topic!

#5 boulder drop, Skykomish. cause it's so good with so many lines at so many levels.

#4 Final Five Canyon, Copper Creek Just a sweet mini gorge with a little of everything, and super scenic. Nobody cleans the headwall, and the eddy of rejection is always entertaining.

#3 Box Drop Top Tye -- so fun, so clean, love the eddy move, and in such a great setting

#2 Double Drop, Truss. Finally learned the secret -- boat scout it. So fun.

#1 Eskimo Pie, GC Elwha. Welcome to the grand -- nice horizon line, sketchy eddy, beat down hole, first significant drop and point of no return.

·
Registered
269 Posts
1) Balls to the Wall, Clarks Fork Yellowstone: big, steep, and fast. I ran it at about 600 with overnight gear, techy entrance to 50 yards of pure joy followed by 50 yards of pure mank. I looked back up that drop and felt like I had achieved something major in my kayaking career. Maybe just maybe I ran it because I wasn't up for another portage.

2) Jake's thru Golf Course, NF Payette: Big moves, big water, big fuck up factor. Ran it once clean, and again not so clean. Hit that roll before Taffy.

3)Great Falls of the Potomac, Potamc River: Lots of different lines at lots of different water levels, entry level V to super gnar gnar. After work 25 footers 10 miles from the big city (see the avatar).

4)Crystal Falls, Bottom Moose: a few different lines to choose, intimidating horizon line, little margin for error, tough to style the final 15 footer, big crowds to cheer or jeer you during Moose Fest.

5) Unnamed Gorge, Upper Hokitika, NZ: total commitment, one visible drop at the begining of an unportageable/unscoutable 4 drop gorge. One of those moments when you don't even hear the river because you're so focused on the move. These drops have probably changed from what I paddled in 2002.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Nice topic Gar. Damn near impossible for me to choose five, but after much debate, I'll go with the following. I definetly second some of the others.

Double Trouble, Big South, CO - Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. Must make big air boof. The higher the level the faster the line.

Entrance Falls, Vallecito, CO - I love the wave train entrance, and the off tilt freefall with a late boof. Usually blind and scary and a wake up. Yet it's a tough one to mention after Adam.

Richochet, Icicle Creek, WA - Fun, multiple moves, big. I see the potential despite only running it once.

A random drop on Bull Lake Creek, WY - The first thing we ran below the Jim Bridger portage. Probably the biggest thing I've ever run. Steep, extremely pushy, scary and powerful 10 foot half way between about 5 big moves. All stacked, no eddies, fast, powerful. Evan blew his skirt.

Jacobs Ladder/Golf Course, NF Payette, ID - It's not a secret that this is one of the greatest drops of all time. It only takes one top to bottom run of the NF to realize why a paddler could move to Boise.

Honorable mentions:
Balls to the Wall, Clark's Fork
Box Drop, Top Tye
Spirit Falls, Little White
Pine Tree Falls, Crystal Gorge
Slots of Fun, Embudo (shit, this probably beats out Richochet. Can't believe I just thought of it. 3.7' left mental scars. Ready to do it again.)
Adrenaline Falls, Lime Creek
Big Timber Falls, Big Timber
Oriental Massage, Yule Creek
the big drop, Upper Upper Cispus

Yeah, a lot of memories. Hard to rank them.

On a side note, I love how after years and years of paddling the quality drops are rarely the biggest verts. Height is good, but there's something magical about powerful, multi-move drops.

Gar, Walker Ranch sucks. WTF? That thing doesn't even make top 10 on the front range.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts