Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am having trouble resisting the urge to make my first boat purchase and was looking for input. Actually I think that I have my mind made up, I was hoping more experienced input would help my decision.

Anyways, my criteria:

The raft needs to do everything and do it all well :rolleyes:: primarily it will be paddled as any of the following R2/3/4/5 but I would also like the ability to throw a frame and oars on it and do multi days with two people. Also my idea of multi-days is more backpacker oriented, so I will not be bringing a kitchen sink ...

Further criteria:
- will be stored and transported rolled up
- may need to be portaged
- mid price range boat
- often run in smaller rivers

What else ...

Anyways, I figure a 12 footer would be a good choice and was thinking along the lines as a Puma/Super P or an Outfitter 12.5.

Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would think you will be happy with a Super Puma or Maravia Spider. Although Hi Side has the Mini Me/ max that will do what you are asking and roll for storage better than the others. I owned a Puma and still own a Spider and love those boats. They are great paddle boats and good with frames on them. The narrow design really doesn't allow you to overload them but they do haul a surprising amount of gear.

Jim

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Plus one for what Semboat posted.

I am big on Super Puma's.

They seem to do it all pretty good from R2 or up to R5 as paddle rigs, plus slap a light weight frame on and you have a oar rig that can handle week long floats for two people if you pack light. As an oar rig with a couple paddlers up front, these boats do an amazing job on tight runs like Numbers on the ARK down thru Royal Gorge.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
another vote for the spider. Puma as a second choice. Just sold my spider mid river on the middle fork. Great boat but it has a new life running rivers in Oregon now.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This is how I set up my Spider for overnighters. Super Puma is the same size. Just getting ready for a Ladore trip next week. ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1406943427.685071.jpg ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1406943448.610022.jpg

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yah the spider is a nice boat, but creeping into the higher end category.

YHyside does have a 12-7 x 5 foot boat which I am also considering.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
keep your eyes peeled for used. I practically gave mine away but it was to a good buddy who will be on more trips now that he has his own boat. It was a 99 and sembobs is older than that. Tough lil boats, remind me of a jeep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts