Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
www.bigwaterraft.com
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a petition going around to allow the respectful use of the rivers in Yellowstone, here is the link. I have signed it, and sent it to all my friends. The trips in Yellowstone that this would open up would be on par with some of the best in the world. Take a look and put your name on if you are so inclined . . .

Here is the link: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/allow-kayaking-yellowstone-national-park/XLs9wq2D

Feel free to spread it around and get more names on the petition

·
Registered
269 Posts
If this actually happened, Yellowstone would be for paddling what Yosemite is for climbing. Sign that brown.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Somethings we just don't need to do. I've been boating more than half my life and would love to boat in Yellowstone, except that I'd rather enjoy it as it is. Leave the place to Mayfly hatches, not rubber and plastic hatches.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Somethings we just don't need to do. I've been boating more than half my life and would love to boat in Yellowstone, except that I'd rather enjoy it as it is. Leave the place to Mayfly hatches, not rubber and plastic hatches.
You are OK with mass motor transit and mobs of people but aren't OK with people floating through the river canyons leaving the same impact as the average yellowstone visitor?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Signed. A kayak across water leaves no trace... perhaps the purest form of low impact travel. Allow it or ban the rest of the motors and fisherman! Avid hikers and fisherman create trails for miles, while river runners attempt to never get out of their boat. River travel is about as low impact as it gets when done properly. Next person...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Low impact? Have you ever done Ruby/Horsethief? How hammered is that? The statement about never touches the bank would be true if there were no shuttles, access trails, camps, ferrys, put in and take outs. The boating community has plenty of negative impact. Don't kid yourself. Don't get me wrong, I would love to boat some of the rivers flowing there, but, it is high impact, high cost, high stakes in this issue. We also tend to be free spirits who don't really give a damn about rules and laws governing the publics behavior. Myself included. Say it how you want; "It just a law" or "The back side of a no trespassing sigh doesn't say anything:. We have an impact. I tow a big boat with my big SUV. A 1978 Datsun with one off color fender and 4 kayaks strapped to the top has an impact also. It adds to the traffic, the congestion, the fuel consumption and the pollution, both air and in consumables.
Again, I would love to be able to run those rivers there, but don't be mistaken, it does have an impact. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applies here. We alter it simply by observing it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Low impact? Have you ever done Ruby/Horsethief? How hammered is that? The statement about never touches the bank would be true if there were no shuttles, access trails, camps, ferrys, put in and take outs. The boating community has plenty of negative impact. Don't kid yourself. Don't get me wrong, I would love to boat some of the rivers flowing there, but, it is high impact, high cost, high stakes in this issue. We also tend to be free spirits who don't really give a damn about rules and laws governing the publics behavior. Myself included. Say it how you want; "It just a law" or "The back side of a no trespassing sigh doesn't say anything:. We have an impact. I tow a big boat with my big SUV. A 1978 Datsun with one off color fender and 4 kayaks strapped to the top has an impact also. It adds to the traffic, the congestion, the fuel consumption and the pollution, both air and in consumables.
Again, I would love to be able to run those rivers there, but don't be mistaken, it does have an impact. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applies here. We alter it simply by observing it.
Have you ever done the grand canyon? Probably the most popular river in the US, it is managed well by the NPS and for the most part is not trashed by hikers or boaters, donkey shit is another topic.
You do have a valid point that we as boaters driver to the river, but isn't that the same as some other users of the park, doesn't that put us on a level playing field? Your statement that our activity trashes the land is just unfounded, look at most of the rivers we utilize. You pick out ruby/horsethief as an exception not the rule. We could all find examples of when this trail or that campsite has been trashed, but for the most part people use the leave no trace mentality in most outdoor activities.
The fact that they allow pack animals in yellowstone and not kayakers is BS, those things crap all over the trail and your telling me that I leave a bigger impact kayaking down a river than a non natural animals big pile?
I think the issue you might have is that you think it will become crazy popular to float these rivers, which is a valid point. Most of the posters so far are kayakers looking to run the class 5 stretches not rafters/ canoers looking to run easier stretches. If usage becomes a problem, just utilize a permit system and deal that way. Hell if the river gets popular their will be commercial trips=local business revenue.
Your argument is that you dont want anymore people in yellowstone, but why does the whitewater community get the short end of the stick? why not ban hiking, that would reduce impact in a huge way? Just because historically boating hasn't been allowed isn't a valid reason on why to exclude this user group, I want a valid reason on why boaters are left out while other user groups are let in.

end rant.

-Tom

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would say I'm on Tom's side of the fence.

This pristine environment was forever disturbed back when Thomas Moran's Lower Falls painting hit Teddy Roosevelt's desk. Teddy slapped the first National Park title on that corner of WY, and it became one of the most trafficked areas in the west. If you're trying to claim river boaters would disturb the environment any more than the motorhomes, hikers, campers, lake boaters, or even the fishermen already walking in the river; I'd have to say your argument is null. The traffic's already there. For what reason are the rivers the only part restricted?

You can boat the rivers right outside the park. And last tine I checked you can boat in all the other National Parks(where applicable). With the right permit structure and requirements, I feel this area should be open as well.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ironically, the low number of signatures probably reflects just how small of a user group boaters are. Looks like there were 2.5+ million visitors to Yellowstone in 2009. There would be maybe a few thousands boaters per year? Nothing is without impact, but boating is about as low as it comes. It seems analogous to banning a couple of guys from taking their scooters up I-70 over concerns of pollution.

Anyway, I signed it, for what it's worth.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts