Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Just outside the park you've got a lot- The Yellowstone River in Paradise valley, The Madison, the Snake.... the Gallatin isn't far away. What are you looking to do? Whitewater or a scenic or fishing float?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Hey Mike or whoever,

Do you think there will still be runnable stuff near Yellowstone in 2 to 3 weeks? It doesn't have to be optimal flows.I 'd settle for 3-4 elfin ' near a campground.I don 't know if mu buddy will be boating or not so short convenient runs with intermediate water is what I am looking for.My friend likes scenic. II -III any recomendations?

I have to figure out how to get back to Denver from Great Falls . Greyhound, Amtrak, or cheap flighty, are maybe options. What is there transport wise bdtwen GF and other Montana cities? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Everything has been dropping out. Good class 2 and 3 up the gallatin as well as some fun for you. My choice for scenic. Otherwise Yellowstone river would be a great choice.

Bus and carpool... When are you headed back to Denver?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I would have a ride to GF via Yellowstone.My friend is going on a weeklong backpackers trip to Glacier.I. would be tagging along and have to find my own way back to Denver from Montana /GF on the 22 nd /23rd of August.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
plane tickets were cheap to and from denver... otherwise im thinking making a trip to meet up with grandma and run fremont canyon at the end of the month...but thats only as far as casper. but yes its still running big

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I would have a ride to GF via Yellowstone.My friend is going on a weeklong backpackers trip to Glacier.I. would be tagging along and have to find my own way back to Denver from Montana /GF on the 22 nd /23rd of August.
Avoid GF if you can. Get all the way to Glacier with him.

Rivers here are dropping out, but you've got a lot better chance of hitchhiking with other boat people if you stay in western MT, or find someone in Glacier who is heading for Yellowstone next.

Run the MF or NF Flathead or a wednesday night on the Swan (IV+/V) up here if they're still doing releases. Hitchhike to Missoula and run the Alberton Gorge, hitchhike to Bozeman to catch the Gallatin.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Shoshone River in Cody has great class II-IV runs five minutes from town- flows stay good into October because its dam released. Cody is the East gate to Jellystone. Also, the Clark's fork, (Which is almost entirely in WY by the way) is 40 miles north. Honeymoon Canyon can be run clear into September and is a great class IV-V run. come on up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts