Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yankee Jim's canyon is running at 1060cfs, low but still runnable according to American whitewater. At this level is it worth a 5hr drive. Got cabin fever can't wait. Floated a section of the Missouri near Bismarck and the river was about 4ft lower than normal. Anyone have any predictions for SW Montana?

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Don't have high hopes on a big year here in SW montana. Yankee Jim is a local beginner favorite, but 5 hours... yikes. Have you considered moving to a state that actually supports your interest?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd move to southwest Montana in a heart beat, getting the baby mama to go might be tough. When she completes her master's we will probably need to move for her to get to the next level. She's an administrator for a hospital that has locations nationwide, I get to pick(happy dance).

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Yankee Jim is 5 minutes of excitement, barely. Not bad mouthing it but it's one feature within a beautiful stretch of river, that really has minimal WW. It is a great float, but not a standalone destination, at least not this time of year. I'm sure there is some thing else worth while with in a hour drive.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I ran the town stretch last week. Good flows for beer drinking. YJ will be mellow as stated but still more fun than Bismarck. Put the hammer down and head to western Mt. I'll be running various stuff if you want to join. Bring a dry suit

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the invite spider. Just bought my first raft after doing 12 commercially guided trips. Baby mama says I'm running tight on my boat budget so a dry suit isn't in the cards right now, I still have a few other things to get + a trailer. Do you think a 5 mil wet suit and splash gear would work? I guess at the water temp more if you swim you might have 10 mins or so before hypothermia starts.

·
Registered
471 Posts
5 mil wetsuit + splash gear is pretty good. Especially in a raft. And almost certainly on class III.

I have many Idaho friends who have far worse and do just fine.

To build experience you can still progress your skills on easier water. Anything with current can help you row some miles to automate the oars a bit. If the budget ($$ or time) isn't helpful I sometime row class 1 or 2 just to get outside and row. I never regret it.
Plus it helps you learn to spedd up your rigging and such for days when time is short. Nothing helos you dial your system like tearing down in the dark in the rain after getting blown upstream all day.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Getting out and rowing your boat is always good and working on your wind game is great exercise. Dry top and waist waders is a good cheap dry suit. Watch for good weather and hit the Yellowstone. Great fishing and camping. Look up Dietze here on the buzz, he's always out there and looking for other rowers to hit the yellowstone with. He should be in my friends on my profile. When the boulder gets going its a great class 2-3 to get rowing on (west fork to big timber / otter creek) 1000-4000cfs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts