Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my wife is pregnant with our first kid. And the only world my kid will know is the one where marriage equality is taken as fact. Today will mark the last page of a chapter in my kid's American History book, closing out discussions that seem as foreign to him or her as the "White" and "Colored" water fountains were to me in my history book.

From Obama's press conference today:

There’s so much more work to be done to extend the full promise of America to every American. But today, we can say in no uncertain terms that we’ve made our union a little more perfect.

That’s the consequence of a decision from the Supreme Court, but, more importantly, it is a consequence of the countless small acts of courage of millions of people across decades who stood up, who came out, who talked to parents -- parents who loved their children no matter what. Folks who were willing to endure bullying and taunts, and stayed strong, and came to believe in themselves and who they were, and slowly made an entire country realize that love is love.

What an extraordinary achievement. What a vindication of the belief that ordinary people can do extraordinary things. What a reminder of what Bobby Kennedy once said about how small actions can be like pebbles being thrown into a still lake, and ripples of hope cascade outwards and change the world.
Those countless, often anonymous heroes -- they deserve our thanks. They should be very proud. America should be very proud.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Huge success!!

Hey a little off topic, but we're in the eddy, so what the heck. Have you guys seen the stuff about the woman who received a note from her neighbor requesting that she remove her "relentlessly gay" lawn decorations from the Christian neighborhood because there are children around. Disgusting- she even threatened to call the police over it. But the relentlessly gay lady (who isn't even gay and has kids of her own) started a gofundme page as a form of retaliation, hoping to raise $5,000 so that she could gay out her house even more. She ended up raising $43,000 and shut the page down before people donated more!!! crazy.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
Well, for my part its about time we quit screwing around (pun intended) with this sexual preference debate.
I mean, I like large breasted blondes
My brother leans towards petite brunettes
A guide I know likes all flavors the same; male, female, tall, short, married, single, multiples; it's all an experience he says.
So what?
If it's between consenting adults it ain't none of anyone's business, as they say.

Lets find something else to fight about. I dunno, how about getting that damn dam removed from the Dolores?

·
Registered
207 Posts
First off I'm not anti gay, don't know any that I'm aware of.

Secondly WTF???????? Why are so many people happy to pay the king for the privilege to marry someone else? Where does the govt get is authority to regulate relationships between adults? And people are happy to have more govt in their lives wow.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Secondly WTF???????? Why are so many people happy to pay the king for the privilege to marry someone else? Where does the govt get is authority to regulate relationships between adults? And people are happy to have more govt in their lives wow.
Sammy,

It doesn't have anything to do with allowing the government to regulate one's relationship or people wanting the government in their private lives. By going down that road you miss the point.

For example, lets say your wife gets in a wreck and is in the ICU. Being her legal husband, you can just walk right in and be with her and, God forbid, comfort her in her last moments if it comes to that. Now imagine not being able to do that because you're not the "legal" husband/wife of your partner - to be denied company with the one you love when they need you most. There are stories of life-long partners being kept apart by the homophobic family of the dying partner because their marriage was not recognized as legal. That "legally married" thing also applies for making decisions for the other one if they're incapacitated, settling an estate if there's not a clear will, and things like that. There's lots more to it - those examples are just scratching the surface.

-AH

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sammy,

It doesn't have anything to do with allowing the government to regulate one's relationship or people wanting the government in their private lives. By going down that road you miss the point.

For example, lets say your wife gets in a wreck and is in the ICU. Being her legal husband, you can just walk right in and be with her and, God forbid, comfort her in her last moments if it comes to that. Now imagine not being able to do that because you're not the "legal" husband/wife of your partner - to be denied company with the one you love when they need you most. There are stories of life-long partners being kept apart by the homophobic family of the dying partner because their marriage was not recognized as legal. That "legally married" thing also applies for making decisions for the other one if they're incapacitated, settling an estate if there's not a clear will, and things like that. There's lots more to it - those examples are just scratching the surface.

-AH
The best argument yet Andy, I see your point. Gotta get to work but more on this later.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yay

Congrats on the baby! Didn't even know you were married. And yay to me I get to marry a woman, again lol..

Sammy I don't think you understand marriage sweetie.. Why did you get your driver license if you didn't want more government interference? Technically you aren't required to drive sooo...

It's not an arguement it's the truth.. There's nothing to discuss unless visibly showing a lack of empathy is a life goal..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts