Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
suigeneris
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:x Anyone see the article about pulling water from the last free flowing river in CO? Plan is to build the pipeline from west of Steamboat where they will SUCK H20 for Front Range. Goodbye Crossiver Gorge and below! Bloody crap never ends, must fight this good fight!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I haven't seen the article, but an uphill pipeline can only carry 100-200 cfs. When the Yampa is running at 5000 cfs, I don't think you will notice.

And the farmers along the Yampa are taking out 200-500 cfs.

Shut down front range water and the front range will move to the mountains. You want that?

·
Registered
200 Posts
i really don't think you can call the yampa free flowing. the bear river in the flattops wilderness area is one of the biggest tributaries and it even has a huge reservoir (stillwater reservoir) on it before the water even runs into the yampa. then just downstream of oak creek there is "stagecoach reservoir". then "lake catamount" is just downstream of that. lake catamount isn't really a lake it is a reservoir also. i was under the impression that free flowing meant no dams on a river. if that is the case then the yampa isn't free flowing

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
yeah, but the river is still only a few hundred cfs up there.....by free flowing, were talking no big dams, ala blue mesa res, or pueblo res, or cheesman, that stop the big, few thousand cfs rivers

·
Registered
200 Posts
a dam is a dam. it isn't free flowing as long as someone can hold back water and release it at will

·
Registered
679 Posts
the scary thing about that article wasn't the potential depletion of the yampa (that's bad enough), but that the main guy quoted in the article (a water commissioner i think) said that the state's water policy is changing overall to meet demands on the front range, meaning that the balance of water is shifting from drainage-wide to statewide. that will affect every major drainage in the state if that's true.

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
all i gotta say is I hope the front range is ready for a huge legal battle....

we finally won our Union Park battle here in Gunny after 20 some odd years with that fuckstick Dave Miller, who seems to think he "knows whats best" for OUR community, even though he lives 200 miles away.....his new plan is to build a pipeline from Blue Mesa to Union Park and then somehow move that water to ABOVE the trout creek pumping plant, so it could THEN be transferred down into the South Platte Basin....i tell ya, some of these front rangers seem to think that we just dont care what happens over here on our side of the mountains and that all we want is just huge pipelines and reservoirs to suck more of our water away.........

·
Registered
79 Posts
Basil, do you want the people who propose these plans to think they have free reign on the west slope's water?

Allowing them to create this project, on one of the countries last free-flowing rivers (yes the Yampa is considered free-flowing), validates their idea that they have the right to take all of the west slopes water.

The answer is not to give them more water, it's to make them conserve water they already overuse. The acres of irrigated lawn in the denver metroplitan area is the real problem. For example the miles of lawn adjacent to 36 going through Broomfield.

ASk yourself if having lawn alongside the freeways on the frontrange is more important than native fish species and kayaking.

Remember there is a round table board that has the power to prevent this atrocity from happening, in which the recreational and environmental perspectives are seriously under-represented. If you care about our rivers you should do what you can to stop these deuchebags from exploiting them

·
Registered
120 Posts
kato, did your girlfriend write this paper for you?

Just kidding, nicely said man, we'd have to re-write the monkey wrench gang if that shiat went down.

·
Registered
200 Posts
kato, do you want the people who propose dams to think they have free reign to put one wherever they like? sounds like as long as it is small you can still call a river free flowing and put as many small dams on it as you like. who made this decision that the yampa is free flowing? after the summer of 2002 stagecoach reservoir was down because they were releasing water late in the summer to keep water in the river when there was almost no natural flow. then the next spring they held back water until it was filled again. if the natural flow is not allowed to go down the river, then how can we call it free flowing? a river should only be called free flowing if it has no dams whatsoever. when the general public hears the words free flowing they think of a pristine river that is practically untouched by man. if the people believe that the yampa is free flowing, then we have done them a great disservice. what we are really saying is that it is ok to dam a river as long as we call it free flowing. its like that dam isn't really there. or at least that is what the general public thinks. i understand that environmentalists wanting to fight the transfer of water to the other side of the mountains would like to make the yampa sound as pristine as possible. calling it free flowing helps to do that. most boaters are also pretty environmentally conscious and if we to make the public aware of the damage that dams do to rivers, then we wouldn't call a river free flowing that really isn't.

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
rhm said:
when the general public hears the words free flowing they think of a pristine river that is practically untouched by man.
no, thats what a "Wild and Scenic" designation means.

again, "free flowing" is a kind of misnomer....YES, there are a few small dams on the Yampa, and YES, they do hold back water.....BUT they do not hold back a big percentage of the rivers flow. from lake catamount down, there isnt a single dam on the river. compare that to Blue Mesa Res, or Pueblo Res, or Lake Powell, or Navajo Res, or Chatfield Res or McPhee Res. The Animas could almost be considered this as it only has Lemon Dam on it, but the A-LP project is going to nix that out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
you and i know that is what a wild and scenic designation is for, but if you look close you might realize that i wrote this is what the "general public" thinks.

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
ha ha ha ha agreed! we're just two boaters stuck without water and waiting for snow, arguing about small points anyway!

btw, where else is it snowing? its dumping big ole phat plakes here in gunnison

·
Registered
79 Posts
Chorter i just wrote thst lil essay to impress my girlfriend so i didn't have to sleep on the couch anymore.

Khm whether the yampa should be considered freeflowing, which at this point it is officially considered free-flowing, is besides the point.

The point is that anyone who tries to divert water from the yampa to the front range deserves an AT paddle up their ass. The chunderposse doesnt get caught up in small details, we just regulate the player haters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts