Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gauge for the Yampa Cross Mtn Gorge is out. Does anyone have any idea (a.) what the level is, and (b.) how that run is at that level? I'm thinking about heading out there this weekend but haven't ever run it. I'm confortable in class IV+ but generally avoid class V. Any input would be appreciated. Nick

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've used the Yampa near Maybel - I don't think it's exactly right and I can't remember why - maybe a dam, but we ran Cross when that gauge read 1300 and it was class IV - bring the playboat. It wasn't very hard to paddle, but you could go to the wrong place if you stayed upside down too long. At 2500 it's supposed to be a different ball game, but I've never been. We may be up there Sunday if you're interested
Joe

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes, the Maybell gauge should be fine. You can also take the Deerlodge Park reading and subtract the Little Snake reading, which joins the Yampa after Cross-Mtn Gorge. You'll get the same result.

The thread from a few days ago on the Steamboat section of the Yampa also has a bunch of pictures of the Cross-Mtn Gorge at 2000 cfs and 2500 cfs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts