Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the Cross Mountain Canyon section of the Yampa is like at its current level (585 cfs). AW rates it as IV(V) but the description says its III- below 300 cfs. I'm guessing its probably around class III? Can anyone provide further description? Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
greetings mr elbo,

i have run ("walked") cross down to 250 and i know it's been done even lower than that. at levels below 300-350, i begin to look elsewhere for my fix ..especially if I am driving far. at these low levels i don't recall any V in there but, go in expecting much tight rock dodging IV and a few spots that are IV+. what i really like about cross at this time of year is the lack of flat-water and the ability to do two or three runs a day. also, i have seen a few buzzworms during late season cross runs, so be careful where you put your hands and feet while scouting. post pics of your trip. BA

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'll even say it's a III+. A little easier than Waterton. There's one cool little slide falls (midway), and a river-wide hole that may be a rock toward the end of the run. It's worth it if you do a few laps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts