Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Newbiewanabebetterboater
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,
Question about access to the Yampa. I am scheduled to put in on Friday, and my Wife originally had Friday off, but it seems as though her boss has had a change of heart.
Is there a way that I could launch without her, and then have her meet us at a Saturday campsite - or somewhere along the river?

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
765 Posts
Are you talking about Yampa Canyon? There's no real access into Yampa by road,that i know of anyways. There's a trail that i took from Harding Hole(day 2 for us) camp that took me up to a (looked well used) road. Not that bad of a hike down,sick views of the canyon above camp. But i have no idea what road that was. Also,maybe she could meet you after the confluence,with the Green,at Echo Park. Its accessible by road.

Edit: There is that ranch down there but its prolly private property.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can hike into harding hole from wagon wheel point. It's about a 45 minute hike or so. There would be some 'interesting' shuttle logistics, but it could be done. You might check with the NPS about the legality of doing so...

You could also meet someone at echo park, but they would miss the whole yampa part of the trip.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Once launched, how far downstream do you have to go? Maybe camp on river right above Vail of Tears, in the trees by the cabin above the entrance to the canyon? You could row over to pick her up in the morning before entering the canyon proper.

After just running Yampa canyon for the first time, I'd encourage as much time above Warm Springs as possible.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The row across stream and then back is a no-go. The camps are assigned and across from the put-in isn't on the list.
I would 2nd the Harding Hole hike-in if you're camped there, if you're sure footed it's a lot less than a 45 min down hike. That road is the Yampa Bench Road. It's one of those 4WD roads that a gung-ho driver in a Civic can do. She could probably just park a car, meet you, and you guys could get the car on your way home. Lots of extra driving, but cool views from the bench... I don't know of anyone who could do a drop-off, although Wilkins bus lines might. River Runners Transport only moves cars, not people. Definately clear your plan with the NPS first though. If their head count at the take out doesn't match the put in you'll likely get banned for a few years in addition to paying a fine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been on trips where we picked up in echo and dropped off at split mountain. Never a hassle with nps at takeout. Maybe things have changed but we never saw anyone at the takeout. Very least you can run around like ants and tell the ranger that couple of folks jumped in their cars to catch a flight in denver.

·
Newbiewanabebetterboater
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info -
Sadly though - I will be missing the put in too - need to spend the time with the Wife.
Andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts