Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm mounting a yak rack on my camper shell and I'm trying to decide if I should use risers or not. My shell is flat on top (as opposed to sloped) and I've got some of the brackets that simulate rain gutters which mount on the side of the shell. I've also got 2 risers, can't decide if I should use the 2, get 4, or use none. Anyways, does anyone have a setup like this, with or without risers, and does your boat/cockpit hit the top of the shell, clear the shell easily, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
You could put the racks withour the risers on the ground to simulate the flat roof. If it is close using two on the back only should fix the problem. Obviously the distance apart is a big factor in how much boat curve hangs down. Be sure to space them so they work with any other accessoriesyou might bolt on, like bike mounts.

I know many people that have lost boats when their tower let go of the bracket. When tying boats to one of these set ups be sure to avoid straps that pull the bars toward each other in your tie off scheme.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I too have a yak rack setup on my camper shell...I went to the effort of going to a salvage yard and finding a wrecked jeep cherokee and buying the old cargo rack that came factory on those...I then mounted that to the fiberglass w/ plenty of back-up to keep it from pulling through...and mounted the Towers to that....WITH the factory luggage wrack by kayaks have plenty of room (2" approx) and I've never had an issue w/ them rubbing. It sounds like you've already made your purchase though so I'm not sure this is very helpful. I would say however that my luggage rack stands about 2 inches or less from the Shell and the Tower's are pretty low profile(ish) so I wouldn't think you would need any spacers necessarily. Test it out on an old sheet of plywood on a pair of saw-horses or something like that. My two cents.....I'm bored at work....good luck!

--Zach W.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts