Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a heinous 8 hr hike with my boat. I borrowed a Salamander pack. Without it, I would have left my boat.
I remember seeing a thread a while back on packs, but didn't read it.
Anyone got the skinny on the best pack? Craw I hear you have one. Are there pics?

Thanks.
Steve.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I find a pic or good description of it? What's the bounty? I really liked the Salamander, but would rather support locals, if it is comparable/better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
what up steve,

i have a yak pak and i really like it. it is very comfotable and it is a gear bag as well. the only thing is that it doesn't pack down anywhere near as small as the craw pak. i haven't used the craw pack, but i have seen it and it looks like a great design. if i didn't have a yak pak i would definitely get the craw pack. it is cheaper, simpler, and smaller. it would be easy to just have it in your boat at all times just in case you have to hike. also it helps support a local colorado boater. you should get the craw pack.

nick

·
Registered
911 Posts
I appreciate the plugs there fella's... Maybe that's the name I will use for them "Craw Pack"... Perfect.

As I have mentioned several times, originally I just made them for myself, but seems that they actually work really well and folks love um. I sold the last of the ones I had built up to Kyle, so at this time I don't have any. But I can probably have more made in about a week or so.

Last time I made/sold about 40.

If anyone is interested, let me know as I will put my order in and don't want to be short.

For those not familiar... they cost $45 and come in there own mesh sack with a loop to beaner into your boat. This whole system rolls up to about the size of a large grapefruit. As Nick mentioned... you will never know it's even in your boat until that time you have an epic hike in front of you.

Craw

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would love to hear more about the design. Does the cockpit face in or out? Is there padding in between you and the boat? If anyone has a pic, that would be great for me and probably the craw.

Steve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd most likely be down. I'm sure if you put a couple of pictures in the gallery you'd sell enough to make it worth your while.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I got a "Craw" last year and love it. To be honest I would've paid more for it (It's worth every penny) Super light weight and packable. Used it many times but particularly remember the Hike in to Middle Lime with it. The guys that were dragging their boats lost some skin on the back of their ankles going down and some days off their lives headin up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Craw Pack

I saw David hiking out Waterton with his Craw and with an aching shoulder I said "Damn, I need to get one of those!"

Count me in if you make another batch.

Ken

·
Registered
846 Posts
in anticipation of the upper box on the rio at high water. . .count me in for a "craw pack" as well.

alex

·
Registered
911 Posts
Just to let ya'll know what they look like, I have posted 2 pic's of the "Craw Pack". One is me with a boat loaded on the back and the other is of the device in it's mesh bag.

If you have any questions, let me know. I just put an order with my sewer today and they should be ready in less than 2 weeks (just in time for the first creeks to run!!)

Kyle was not the first to mention that a hip strap would be nice. Well, looks like my sewer and I worked out an awesome solution to that. It will raise the cost, but the way I am looking to do it, it will be available as an accessory.

Right now they are 45.00, and it looks like the hip strap could add another 20 bucks. But for hauling more than a mile or so... it could prove to be invaluable. I will know more later this week.

Thanks for the interest, I will get back to each of you that has sent me emails wanting to purchase them when they are done.

Crawdad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where are the posted photos (link)?
I'd like to see and most likely buy.
thanks

edit
Ooops, never mind I saw it on the home page
And I'll E-mail my "I want one"

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Booth is wrong, I did not lose skin off the back of my ankles hiking into Lime, I lost a good chunk off my knuckle after my boat that I was dragging behind me knocked me off balance and into an FU rock. The hike out was no less fun either (it took a good bit of gasoline to get all the grease off our boats). I have been meaning to order one ever since, and was recently reminded by an absolutely heinous hike out of the Blackwater, WV, about a month ago. Marty, you'll be getting an order from me soon after mentioning it to my DC crew.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sounds like you better make a bunch of 'em--sign me up!

·
Registered
114 Posts
have the craw and loved it. put it to the test in the black last year.

the only thing that i found is that it does take some time to set up, which in the black with numerous portages of varying lengths and degrees of climbing - sometimes its just not worth the time. hikes of more than 20-30 minutes i'd say its worth it.

i found that a hip belt would definately help - alot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My only question is how well it will do with 75-80lbs. :shock: I've destroyed a Salamander per year for the last 3 years. :evil: Each time only getting 2 trips before they self destruct! From experience I can say that for that kind of weight the shoulder straps will not due unless they are padded and it would most certainly need a waist belt. Despite these short comings of the CRAW I'd still be interested in checking it out. There is/will be an ever increasing market in this kind of device. Different versions might be a good idea depending on the requirements of the trip. Just me 2 cents.

·
Registered
911 Posts
JD,

The "Craw Pack" has VERY padded shoulder straps (7/8ths inch thick!). But most of the device is built with webing and clips. The entire thing is adjustable to accomodate any shoulder width/size, hieght of the person carrying, and boat size/thickness. This is one of the things I am most stoked about. Very adjustable... The great thing though is once you adjust it to your body/boat, you never have to mess with it again.

That being said, my Salto wieghs about 70lbs with my overnight and safety gear. Although I only used it about 6 times last year, I have yet to break one and don't know of anyone that has broken one either. If they have...please send them back and I will warranty them.

We just finished the hip belt design last night and I am hoping to have the first ones out in the next week.

Thanks to everyone that has sent me emails to purchase (25 or so!!!)... I will advise ya'll when they get done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts