Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am 275lbs with cloths/gear up to 315lbs I am looking for XL creek boat option's ? right now I use a cross over but I want to move up past the class 2-3

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I am 6'3 280lbs and I enjoy jackson kayaks.

The karma is large at 103 gallons. It has a high parting line and a long plaining hull with rocker. It floats me higher up in the water and stays on top of the water better than say a 90 gallon villain with a displacment hull.

However, what i've found, at my weight I can paddle a super fun 70 gallon river play at high water class 3-4 and still surf and have a blast.

I can use a super hero 90 gallons, for river running and a large karma 103 gallons for any bigwater or creek run I am paddling.

Volume and hull design have been key for me. I like a high parting line and 90 gallons or better.

I also like dagger axiom 9.0 foe slalom and river splat/surf

and a rockstar large for that beachball under my butt effect.

I am learning to paddle at a solid class 4 level, to give you an idea of where i've made it with my skill set, I started in a dagger approach 10 and sucked real bad. I have come to terms with myself, I enjoy kayaking and thats what matters now.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We have had great luck putting larger people in the Stomper 90. I just got a Flying squirrel 95 and it is much more fun to paddle and 5 more gallons. Should be great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am 5'10" and 280. I am a big fan of Jackson boats. I have a Super Hero for river running, a Monstar for play boating and I just added an older Super Fun. The Super Fun and Super Hero has plenty of leg room. The Monstar is really fun but just enough leg room for me. All these boats do a great job keeping me afloat. I prefer the planing hull of the Super Hero over the displacement hull of a Karma. As well the Super Hero is a little shorter than a Karma large which I prefer, but that could be a personal opinion.

"Keep your head above your ass."

·
Registered
501 Posts
Karma Large

I own the small now, and had owned a medium, ... just to indicate my experience with these boats, ... but it is the JK Karma large that should be the boat you want. Try it, you'll probably absolutely love it once you find the best seat location for your size. I'm not sure where that is, but it might be all the way forward for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone I am 275lbs with cloths/gear up to 315lbs I am looking for XL creek boat option's ? right now I use a cross over but I want to move up past the class 2-3

I have Remix 79, however, I just spent a week paddling a Karma Large on class 2 & 3 water. The Remix is now for sale. The Karma's volume gave much better stability than the Remix in bigger water. The first day I had to really work to keep the Karma on edge compared to the Remix. After the first day I did not notice it anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up a Large Karma last month. I absolutely love it. For me the Karma is much more stable and forgiving than the Remix. The Karma is easy to roll. I am having much more fun on the river!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts