Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting in on WW July 2, and floating/motoring through Cat to Powell. I'm trying to figure out the miles. I guess I could just add up section by section on American Whitewater.

Also, curious about beta for this section. Never been below WW. Sweet camps?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
My math was wrong 175
That's correct, but North Wash is unusable due to the lake dropping, last May we had to motor to Bullfrog, which I understand is now closed due to the lake dropping, so that leaves Halls Crossing which is reported to be in operation.

This thread from 2 months ago has some very telling photos of North Wash. Whether the BLM will do anything with this or not is still up in the air as of yesterday.

Unless you have a decent flow, the stretch between Cisco and Dewey Bridge is going to be way bony with little current, bring a couple spare props and be ready to have a lower end trashed if you don't have a "Jack Ass". The Moab daily, same thing, but easier to navigate. It's 16 miles from Cisco to Dewey Bridge, and there's some decent camping on public lands, but once you get past Dewey there's only BLM fee sites available, Hittle Bottom is one that comes to mind.

You COULD camp about 5 miles below Cisco, Or at Fish Ford, but beware, it's a popular spot with Fisherman and party animals, and can be very buggy, deer flies and skeeters at that time of year. Not so bad above, and not so bad below, but there they seem to be everpresent, and then and run all the way to Red Cliff's lodge, a high end resort with a boat ramp and a really good restaraunt, they have a vinyard there and wine tastings too, along with a pool, horseback riding etc. Reservations suggested.. As my friend tells me, "Live a little".. We did this last year and really enjoyed the place.

The float goes under Dewey Bridge after 16 miles from Cisco. The bridge, built in 1916, was the second longest wooden suspension bridge west of the Mississippi when it was built. In 2008, the bridge burned down. Child playing with matches caused it. Due to this incident, the only structure left of the bridge are the abutments on each side of the river, and metal cables crossing the river. From the bridge down stream, is BLM River Recreation area. There is a campground just down river on the left, allowing for a good place to camp if making the trip or even a possible take-out/put-in if looking for a shorter distance. Not sure of the viability of that though with this water year.

For you rock hounds,

The geology of this section is majestic, varied and second to none. From Cisco to the point where highway 128 meets the river at Sagers Wash, the Morrison Formation of shale, siltstone and sandstone dominates the geologic strata. Other groups along this section include Dakota Sandstone, Cedar Mountain Formation, Kayenta Formation, Mancos Shale and Entrada Sandstone. The confluence with the Dolores River brings narrower canyons and more diversified geology. Navajo Sandstone, Kayenta Formation, Wingate Sandstone, Chinle Formation, Moenkopi Formation and Cutler Group Undivided can all be seen at or near river level from the Dolores confluence to the boat ramp in Moab. The Fisher Towers seen from the river are comprised mainly of the Cutler Group topped with Moenkopi Formation caps and offer spectacular views backed by the distant La Sal Mountains. The extreme diversity of the strata along this section can be hard to digest and a river guide with good geology notes improves the experience for those interested in rock identification.

The above taken from rigtoflip.org

This from the river use stipulations for Westwater, it should have come in your permit package

B.Boaters floating past or launching from Cisco Landing may not travel under motorized power for a distance of two river miles below Cisco landing.
C. Camping on public lands is not authorized for a distance of two river miles below Cisco Landing

Go and have fun. The only downside to this trip from Cisco down is the shuttle and motoring across the reservoir for 2+ full days. The shuttle from WW to Halls is spendy as it's a long haul to get there from WW.

My 2¢, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: rockmonkey

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's correct, but North Wash is unusable due to the lake dropping, last May we had to motor to Bullfrog, which I understand is now closed due to the lake dropping, so that leaves Halls Crossing which is reported to be in operation.

This thread from 2 months ago has some very telling photos of North Wash. Whether the BLM will do anything with this or not is still up in the air as of yesterday.

Unless you have a decent flow, the stretch between Cisco and Dewey Bridge is going to be way bony with little current, bring a couple spare props and be ready to have a lower end trashed if you don't have a "Jack Ass". The Moab daily, same thing, but easier to navigate. It's 16 miles from Cisco to Dewey Bridge, and there's some decent camping on public lands, but once you get past Dewey there's only BLM fee sites available, Hittle Bottom is one that comes to mind.

You COULD camp about 5 miles below Cisco, Or at Fish Ford, but beware, it's a popular spot with Fisherman and party animals, and can be very buggy, deer flies and skeeters at that time of year. Not so bad above, and not so bad below, but there they seem to be everpresent, and then and run all the way to Red Cliff's lodge, a high end resort with a boat ramp and a really good restaraunt, they have a vinyard there and wine tastings too, along with a pool, horseback riding etc. Reservations suggested.. As my friend tells me, "Live a little".. We did this last year and really enjoyed the place.

The float goes under Dewey Bridge after 16 miles from Cisco. The bridge, built in 1916, was the second longest wooden suspension bridge west of the Mississippi when it was built. In 2008, the bridge burned down. Child playing with matches caused it. Due to this incident, the only structure left of the bridge are the abutments on each side of the river, and metal cables crossing the river. From the bridge down stream, is BLM River Recreation area. There is a campground just down river on the left, allowing for a good place to camp if making the trip or even a possible take-out/put-in if looking for a shorter distance. Not sure of the viability of that though with this water year.

Go and have fun. The only downside to this trip from Cisco down is the shuttle and motoring across the reservoir for 2+ full days. The shuttle from WW to Halls is spendy as it's a long haul to get there from WW.

My 2¢, your mileage may vary.
Wow, thank for the beta!! 2+ days added going across Powell?!! How many days would you estimate it would take to Cat from Moab? We were thinking 1 night in WW, 1-2 nights to get to Moab, and 4 night in Cat.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow, thank for the beta!! 2+ days added going across Powell?!! How many days would you estimate it would take to Cat from Moab? We were thinking 1 night in WW, 1-2 nights to get to Moab, and 4 night in Cat.
There was quite a bit of work done on that ramp this spring but the situation does not look to be improving. The reservoir is down 2 feet in the last 2 weeks. Usually the water has leveled off and begun to rise by the last week of April, but the “runoff” hasn’t even begun yet this year.

A recent trip report stated that the boats had to be unloaded by hand at the ramp and then the empty boats loaded onto trailers. You can still take out there, just don’t expect to roll onto the trailer and drive away. Who knows what it will look like going forward if the pool doesn’t begin to rise soon.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Well, that all depends on how hard you wanna run. you want to spend 4 nights in cat ? Your time line seems doable..

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
There was quite a bit of work done on that ramp this spring but the situation does not look to be improving. The reservoir is down 2 feet in the last 2 weeks. Usually the water has leveled off and begun to rise by the last week of April, but the “runoff” hasn’t even begun yet this year.

A recent trip report stated that the boats had to be unloaded by hand at the ramp and then the empty boats loaded onto trailers. You can still take out there, just don’t expect to roll onto the trailer and drive away. Who knows what it will look like going forward if the pool doesn’t begin to rise soon.

Best of luck.
We had some pretty good rains here starting Mon night and all day yesterday, it brought the Ark up considerably, and caused a huge spike in the Colorado, and a tiny rise on the green. Colorado at 4K cfs up from 2100, and the Green is at 2100. It's supposed to be warmer toward the end of the week, but the snowpack on the mountains here, well just eyeballing it, I'd say is at least a third, if not a half gone. There's not a lot of snow water content in the basins right now. The Seasonal temp and precip maps haven't changed, above average temps, with below average precip. If it does stay warm, the runoff may shoot it's wad by June.,

I don't think it's boding really well, and last I talked to my friends in Moab, commercial boatmen, they said the drop as of yesterday was considerable, like 3 feet in the last 2 weeks, and a total of 6 feet or more since the dozed the ramp.

They don't think there's going to be much of a rise at all, if any, and if it continues at the same rate, it'll be another 3-4 feet down by the time he launches. So 9 to 10 feet down by his takeout date. That being said, this is all guesswork and shaky extrapolation based on the available data I have.

What is interesting is it would seem they (Bureau of Wreck The Nation) are more worried about Mead reservoir being able to generate electricity than they are about water supply, the mindset seems to be they have further to drop in Powell, than Mead before dead pool.

They have already been modifying the turbines in Hoover Dam to work efficiently with a lower head of water, but it seems the mindset, from what I've read, is to keep more water in Mead than Powell. Will be interesting to see what this does to flows in Grand Canyon.

It's anyone's guess. I'm betting you can't get a trailer in at North Wash for more reasons than cut banks, think knee deep mud..

My 2¢, YMMV

·
Registered
175 Posts
We had some pretty good rains here starting Mon night and all day yesterday, it brought the Ark up considerably, and caused a huge spike in the Colorado, and a tiny rise on the green. Colorado at 4K cfs up from 2100, and the Green is at 2100. It's supposed to be warmer toward the end of the week, but the snowpack on the mountains here, well just eyeballing it, I'd say is at least a third, if not a half gone. There's not a lot of snow water content in the basins right now. The Seasonal temp and precip maps haven't changed, above average temps, with below average precip. If it does stay warm, the runoff may shoot it's wad by June.,

I don't think it's boding really well, and last I talked to my friends in Moab, commercial boatmen, they said the drop as of yesterday was considerable, like 3 feet in the last 2 weeks, and a total of 6 feet or more since the dozed the ramp.

They don't think there's going to be much of a rise at all, if any, and if it continues at the same rate, it'll be another 3-4 feet down by the time he launches. So 9 to 10 feet down by his takeout date. That being said, this is all guesswork and shaky extrapolation based on the available data I have.

What is interesting is it would seem they (Bureau of Wreck The Nation) are more worried about Mead reservoir being able to generate electricity than they are about water supply, the mindset seems to be they have further to drop in Powell, than Mead before dead pool.

They have already been modifying the turbines in Hoover Dam to work efficiently with a lower head of water, but it seems the mindset, from what I've read, is to keep more water in Mead than Powell. Will be interesting to see what this does to flows in Grand Canyon.

It's anyone's guess. I'm betting you can't get a trailer in at North Wash for more reasons than cut banks, think knee deep mud..

My 2¢, YMMV
By “runoff” I meant runoff that effects reservoir level. I’m just going off the lake Powell water data site. It is indeed looking grim for the rivers, but I’ll be seeing parts of Glen Canyon I’ve never seen before here in 2 more weeks. Silver linings...

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
By “runoff” I meant runoff that effects reservoir level. I’m just going off the lake Powell water data site. It is indeed looking grim for the rivers, but I’ll be seeing parts of Glen Canyon I’ve never seen before here in 2 more weeks. Silver linings...
When it comes to the Glen Canyon Damn, you can bet your bottom dollar that MY sentiments echo the sentiments of Ol Seldom Seen..

I read an article a while back that depicted a family that discovered an old sunken boat on the banks of Powell. Was a pretty cool thing to see. Check it out

Also telling is the photo of Bullfrog ramp in the article, and the prediction that the lake will drop to 31% capacity from it's current 36%. Not sure the statement about releasing water from upstream impoundments would hold water, there's not a lot of water to release for one thing, and state law has guidelines about keeping water in the fisheries, which apparently doesn't apply to the tribe that manages McFee res..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts