Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a place or two to rent boats in Maine. Going out with the family and are going to be in and around Brunswick then up to the Kennebec where everyone's doing a raft trip...just wondering if I can find a place to get a boat to mess around up there in. Thanks, ian

·
sports enthusiast
148 Posts
Bangor Ski Rack is the only one, and it's 1.5 hours from Brunswick and then about the same to the Kennebec from Bangor. Not very convenient.

Ski Rack Sports Bangor Maine Kayaks, Bikes, Skiis, Snowboards, Camping, Outdoor Gear

If you're jonesing, you're welcome to use my old Dagger Freefall LT or Estanguet slalom C-1, both of which are at my in-laws' house in Freeport (one town south of Brunswick). My father-in-law has a Necky Jive, Asylum squirt boat low cut for 150lbs, and a Perception Corsica S that I'm sure he'd let you use (maybe not the Asylum, as that's his baby). They're also in South Freeport. My father has a Prijon T-Canyon in Boothbay Harbor.

Shoot me a PM if any of these interest you. Unfortunately, Maine is my repository for boats I no longer use.

There's also a few people who might lend you a boat, if you want to go that route.

You might also try posting on the squirt boaters' message board, as there are Mainers who check that regularly and might be willing to lend you an extra plastic boat and gear.

http://angstkayak.com/messageboard/index.html

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

sam

·
sports enthusiast
148 Posts
Anyone know of a place or two to rent boats in Maine. Going out with the family and are going to be in and around Brunswick then up to the Kennebec where everyone's doing a raft trip...just wondering if I can find a place to get a boat to mess around up there in. Thanks, ian
Also, I'll be up at the West Branch of the Penobscot River 8/19-23 if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

There's also a kick-ass reversing falls (tidal whitewater) just about 20 minutes from Brunswick, depending on route 1 traffic. It's called Sheepscot Falls and it's in the town of Alna, just up the Sheepscot River from Wiscasset. Hit it 2.5 hours after Portland (not Brunswick) high tide.

Tide charts here:
Southcoast Tides | Maine Boats Homes & Harbors

And, there's allegedly another reversing falls right next to Brunswick, in Basin Cove at the end of Harpswell Neck. I've never paddled it, and I'm not sure what the timing is, but it's listed in old canoe guidebooks as well as the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer (I'm sure the folks you're visiting have a "Gazetteer.")

1 - 3 of 3 Posts