Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
62363498460--E95ACE9B-CC19-49D4-8411-A6D93C3E3D99 (1).jpeg

Hello fellow boaters,
I know this is a long shot, but I am looking to buy a Boulder Boat Works whitewater dory. I am aware that there are only a dozen of these boats in existence. The boat pictured above is the DC-2 from Boulder Boat Works and owned by Bob Gleason from Boot Doctors in Telluride Colorado. My buddy Jeff Hale in Nathrop Colorado has a DC-1 and a DC-10. Somewhere out there are 9 other boats like this one. If anyone is looking to sell or knows anyone that has one please contact me. Perhaps it's because this is the only dory I have ever rowed. Perhaps it's because I am not a carpenter. Perhaps it's because its October and all I can think about is rowing this amazing boat once again. Whatever the reason I cannot stop thinking about owning one myself someday soon. If you have any information that would help me track down this particular dory please contact me.
Andrew Brachle 970-708-5202

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
The unicorn you seek is even more so; sounds like only 2-3 of these were made with whitewater top decks. Most are the deep bottom fishing version.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I feel you! I remember seeing a website with Boulder Boat Works Dories and eventually bought one their first drift boats. I sold it years later and have regretted it big time. Good luck!

·
Registered
AIRE Jag
38 Posts
My buddy has a BBW drifter. He was a fishing guide for years. Man those things are light and turn on a dime!

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
They made two proto types that I know of and decided they would have to sell for way over $20,000 with labor. I checked about 15-20 years ago when they were still in boulder, and was told by the owner back then he had to parts to build a DC10 in the warehouse that he would sell for $10,000 if I wanted to build my own. I wish to this day I had the 10 grand back then, but sigh did not. I'm sure by now that is not a possibility anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Andy I sat in that boat when it was in Andy shop the original owner of boulder boat works he told me he only made 2 or 3 of those boats that was 6 years ago!
I have 2 brand new commercial grade wooden whitewater dories for sale if interested? $16,000 and $17,000

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Chuck and everyone else with that chimed in. Can you post pictures of the 2 new wooden whitewater dories that you have for sale? I will go with a wooden dory if I am unable to locate an Andy Toohey designed Boulder Boat Works whitewater dory. However, that is my primary mission right now and I can play the waiting game.
Yes, it is a unicorn that I seek. I've been chasing unicorns my whole life. I fully aware of how few of these exist. Jeff has 2, Bob has one, saw one on the Ark at 5,000cfs a few years ago and I know there are a few more out there.
Unfortunately the new owners of BBW are only interested in making drift boats and are not willing at the moment to make a whitewater dory. If there was enough interest we could possibly change their mind, but right now they are totally crushing the drift boat world. Any other takers?
I'll keep on dreaming for now......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello chuckd, By way of introduction i am a Dory Builder in Carbondale CO. Blue Sky Woodcraft, I have A friend in Steamboat Springs that has a boat i built for him- Briggs Hull, 16 foot 9 inch bow to stern 48” bottom in excellent shape With a trailer for sale. If you are interested i can hook you up. Thanks Marty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's our unicorn! Eris is not for sale, but she's been a fantastic boat. The top photo was from 2008 when we took delivery at the BBW shop in Boulder. That's Andy Toohey on the right. The bottom photo is plowing through the V wave in Lava in 2013. Being hard-hulled, it will do things a raft can't. It can ferry across the current quickly by angling the boat just right, it can surf (the hole in 24-1/2 mile rapid comes to mind), and it does in two strokes what a raft does in six. Rafts are dories with training wheels!
If you want a dory and can afford it, go for a wood boat that's available and not the unicorn. There's a lot to be said for those classic wood dories with great craftsmanship and beautiful paint jobs, and the BBW boats aren't maintenance free. Both Bob and I have made various modifications and repairs to our boats over the years. I know of at least one wooden dory builder on this forum whose boats I've had lust in my heart for (sorry, Eris). And a final point is that the BBW dories are 16' long while most of the dories used in the GC are longer and hold a bit more. Still, I wouldn't trade Eris for another.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Here is a photo of my 1986 Yellow Stone drifter taken this fall. Occasionally I will take it on a white water trip. It has a seat in back I remove along with the leg brace behind the oarsman seat. It has two bench seats. One for oarsman and one for the front passenger. Gear behind me, 2 coolers in footwell on each side and a dry bag shoved under the front leg brace. I put an inflated thwart under each bench seat for floatation. I strap in 4 MTM ammo boxes one on either side of oarsman and front passenger for stuff that needs to be easy to get to.
My dory fall 2020.jpg
Class 3 with a friend or even with 3 people if back pack style. It has seen about 400 plus river days mostly fishing (you got to love of fiberglass). I row with a buddy that has BBW standard fly fishing boat a bunch and I think the are pretty close in performance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bob's boat surely is a beauty. I've seen it launch straight in the air on Grand Canyon waves. While not for sale, we own a Lavro fiberglass dory that the previous owner (Pete Winn-he deserves a shout out for the great job he did) decked himself for whitewater. Our local fiberglass guy (who made the first wavesports here in Oak Creek) keeps it in good shape for us. All to say, there are several species of unicorn, and life is short, so my advice would be to just get started. There is nothing more fun than hitting a wave in this boat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love it. Thank you all for sharing your pictures of your beautiful dorys. Bob is in the Grand Canyon right now picking his line through Lava Falls or below. It has been great to hear everyone's thoughts on whitewater dorys. Like many of you, The Emerald Mile sparked my interest years ago, but it wasn't until I met Jeff that I was first able to row a dory myself. I felt like I was on drugs. All I could think about was rowing a dory and when I would get to do it again. Magical. Hitting a wave in a dory is like nothing else. I yearn to do it again and again. Please keep this thread alive with more pictures of dorys. Thanks Dwain for sharing your BBW dory with us. That is a special boat. Life is short. I'm on an 8 person Grand Canyon trip in 2022 and I would love to take a dory this time down.

Andrew Brachle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a couple of pictures of Pyrite, a Boulder Boat Works DC-1. Pyrite was one of the first model dorys that BBW constructed and the only dory I have ever rowed. Its design is simple and elegant. Pyrite can hold a captain and one passenger. The first picture is deceiving because it was taken during a rescue after a raft flip on Browns. Its been down the Grand several times and is scheduled to go again in 2021. Sweet craft. If anyone else has one they would like to sell please contact me.
Andrew Brachle
[email protected]

IMG-3325.jpeg
IMG-2713.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts