Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm interested in buying a used (if I can find one) SOAR Canyon 14' inflatable canoe. I'm up in Montana and would pay for shipping and all that.

Thanks all!

Wheels

·
Commo
13 Posts
Interesting. Been following SOAR for 25 years, have owned 3 (the Canyon is a great boat, but I don't want to sell mine) and I've never heard of a 'Levitator.' Maybe a one-off prototype? Or from the early 90s?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Been following SOAR for 25 years, have owned 3 (the Canyon is a great boat, but I don't want to sell mine) and I've never heard of a 'Levitator.' Maybe a one-off prototype? Or from the early 90s?
Commo - question for you (and all reading this) - do you paddle the Canyon or have an oar set-up? and if you do row, did you get the SOAR rig or did you buy/make a different rig? Trying to figure out whether the SOAR rig is stable/beefy enough.

·
Commo
13 Posts
As a canoe guy at heart, and a dullard, a single-blade canoe paddle is about all the complexity I can master. I think the oar rigs are generally for the larger SOARs, like the Pro Pioneer, but I've never used one. I used to paddle a 16' SOAR solo, with a single blade - it was a lot of boat but do-able. The 14' is fine that way. Many folks use kayak paddles - but you need a long, almost sea-kayak paddle due to the higher seat height and tube width.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Commo - question for you (and all reading this) - do you paddle the Canyon or have an oar set-up? and if you do row, did you get the SOAR rig or did you buy/make a different rig? Trying to figure out whether the SOAR rig is stable/beefy enough.
I have a 14' (not for sale) and between me, my wife, and my kids we have paddled it with both canoe and kayak paddles, and I've built two speed rail frames for it to row. I looked at the SOAR frame saddles, but ultimately chose to build my own because it was less money and seemed like it would be more stout than the saddles. The first frame was a 6.5' long, multi cross bar frame that provided good rigidity and rigging options, but it was overkill. I used those side rails for a raft frame, and I now have a small (maybe 36-40") three cross bar frame with a high back rowers seat on the rear bar, a low back passenger seat on the front bar, and a small bay between my foot bar and the front bar (under the passenger) for a cooler. The frame is relatively light and still leaves plenty of room for a couple of the SOAR strap in seats if I want to put more than one person in it with me. You can see a pretty good mock-up on Gary's rowframe site here: Raft frame, Cataraft, Cataraft frame, Rowframe, and Whitewater Equipment . Great boats, good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 14' (not for sale) and between me, my wife, and my kids we have paddled it with both canoe and kayak paddles, and I've built two speed rail frames for it to row. I looked at the SOAR frame saddles, but ultimately chose to build my own because it was less money and seemed like it would be more stout than the saddles. The first frame was a 6.5' long, multi cross bar frame that provided good rigidity and rigging options, but it was overkill. I used those side rails for a raft frame, and I now have a small (maybe 36-40") three cross bar frame with a high back rowers seat on the rear bar, a low back passenger seat on the front bar, and a small bay between my foot bar and the front bar (under the passenger) for a cooler. The frame is relatively light and still leaves plenty of room for a couple of the SOAR strap in seats if I want to put more than one person in it with me. You can see a pretty good mock-up on Gary's rowframe site here: Raft frame, Cataraft, Cataraft frame, Rowframe, and Whitewater Equipment . Great boats, good luck!
Awesome! If you get a chance, I'd love to see a pic or two of your frame set-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.