Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing nothing but good comments about the WRSI helmets. Everyone seems to think they are invincible when wearing one. That is the way I thought too until I had one cut me open. I was kayaking down a class III rapid and rolled on the first wave. I hit a rock on the bill of my WRSI helmet. The bill broke and stabbed into my head just above my eyebrow. Giving me about 30 stitches and a big hospital bill. Has anyone else had a negative experience with WRSI?

·
Registered
834 Posts
The other way to think about it is that the bill may have saved your life. A shot that is hard enough to break the bill might be hard enough to break your skull and knock you out cold if it had hit you in the face. The bill gives some face protection. Not nearly as much as a face mask, but more than no bill.

So... maybe you just got lucky, lucky, lucky. You just nailed a rock full force with the face side of your skull and lived.

In a plastic helmet I think that the "give" in the plastic is what gives superior shock protection. I don't creek in a hard shell helmet because I think wearing rock hard kevlar ,or whatever it is, on your head just transfers shock very efficiently to your skull. When a plastic shell deforms and maybe even breaks, it is absorbing shock without directly transferring it.

I like a helmet with a facemask for riverrunning stuff that is difficult enough to flip me. It sounds like you didn't tuck tightly enough when you flipped and you got away with it. I didn't tuck tight enough once when I flipped and I broke my neck. Kayaking is dangerous like that.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Do you have photos of the damage? Do you think that it was a small impact and should not have broken or that it broke off in a problematic way? I have a WRSI but have not tested it against rock - I was hoping someone else would do the testing for me. My expectation on any helmet would be a large impact would break the helmet but hopefully not my head. I would expect a whitewater helmet to be able to handle small/minor impacts without structural damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a large impact and I am lucky it was not worse. I am surprised I didn't get knocked out and was able swim the rest of the rapid. The accident was my fault, I should have tucked tighter. I am a novice in hard shell, I usually raft. I do think it was the helmet that cut me because the cut is the same shape and size as the broken part on the bill. The helmet may have saved my life, I don't know? I think the bill should be made a little thicker. And I should tuck a little tighter.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would agree with everyone saying be thankful. You are the only other person besides myself that I know of that has broken a WRSI. When I broke mine I was very impressed with the impact absorption and it definitely held up as much as I could have expected. WRSI makes awesome helmets. I hope your experience doesn't deter you from getting another one. Thanks for sharing. Be safe.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've heard of just that happening with a helmet before, but it was a motorcycle helmet (in a motorcycling situation). It was a one of those flip-up/full face helmets and the problem is that the jaw-protection is largely superficial and it cracks easily in an impact -- then the shards generally go straight into your pretty face. Here's a link of the type of helmet-style I'm talking about.

Flip-Up Helmets | Helmet City

You should tell WRSI just so they can think about it in their next generation of helmets. I have a Sweet Rocker helmet and it's visor could do the same thing, but I like it anyway.

BTW, I agree with Ture and others above. Helmets need to balance the factors of absorbing impact & protecting from sharp objects. I might look like Napoleon Dynamite in my creeking helmet, but it guards my grill and would absorb a hard hit versus sending it straight on to my already abused brain.

In theory river rocks are supposed to be round, too, right? Ha!

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Shut up, Shizzle. You dont have a rocker.

But ya do look like Napoleon with that blue short-bus helmet on....and ya pasty white ass. You look sick, dog.

And who cares if it guards yo grill man. Shizzle's grill's so ugly his dentist treats him by mail. Shizzle so ugly if ugly were bricks he'd have his own projects. Shizzle so ugly he went bungee jumpin and they put the cord around his neck. He so ugly his shadow quit.

hatehatehatehatehate

..oh and post pics of the helmet

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
I think we've determined this thread is useless without pictures.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey guys!
I have talked to Nick and he told me that they received the helmet back for testing and they are looking at it.

I think that it is nice that a company cares enough to take the time and test the helmet.

It is hard to test for every incident ever and I am sure they will consider this accident in their next design.

I am very sorry that you were hurt and I am glad that you are ok.

-Christine, Team WRSI

1 - 16 of 16 Posts