Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Seems to me that it would. Usually the main concern is the lip size (3" typically), and it looks like it has that.
12x12 is kind of small, and it seems a bit chintzy, but might work well for you.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
It should work most everywhere except GC and their rules and rangers are out of control. The 3" lip is GC requirement most other rivers are 2 1/2 or less.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
522 Posts
If your looking for Down and Dirty an oil changing pan meets the regs and the price is right. If they require is to be elevated get two and set one down upside down to act as the legs.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Miksee had these fold up, lightweight fire pans he found for self support Grand Canyon trips in packrafts. Maybe shoot him a P.M. for the manufacturer, you might also be able to find it in his trip report from some time this past year, using a thread search.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It looks like it has slots in the bottom of the furnace box for airflow that would let ash fall out so I would say it won't pass.
I somehow posted my reply in another thread yesterday... I agree with the vents... this wont pass because it wont contain the ashes...

Look at the partner steel kayak pan (40 bucks I think) or the oil pan that whitewater worthy recommended.. I picked one up as an extra fire pan for using DO's and I think I paid less than 15 bucks.

good luck

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Here is a oil pan I dressed up.. used to be on stupid guide tricks before the site went down.. packs down, light weight , is elevated and fits a 12" Dutch real nice..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought one of these and it is really cool. Nice alternative to a large heavy firepan. Folks should be aware that there are holes in the pan where the legs go through. I plan to use a fire blanket underneath so I'm not terribly concerned with any fire hazard but I imagine there will be rangers that would not accept it because of that.

On the oil drain pan idea, just an fyi, most of those are galvanized. I know lots of folks use them but do your research.

·
Registered
563 Posts
What are you guys using for fire blankets? I saw this $10 type on A that is designed to smother a fire, so I don't see why it wouldn't work to protect the ground from embers...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't notice the holes in the corners until you pointed that out. Hopefully it will be easy enough to modify/patch to appease the rangers.

I'm also curious about fire blankets, that was going to be my next search now that I have a holy fire pan. I've been looking at some of the welding blankets and some of the reviews talk about how much they shed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
4 Corners Riversports in Durango has a source on a local welder who makes an aluminum breakdown fire pan. Primarily aluminum angle iron, a few flat pieces of aluminum, and a few bolts. Fits in the back of a kayak (though some pieces too long to fit in a 20mm ammo/rocket box) . Meets grand regs. I picked up one a few years ago and take it on my self-support/permit required kayak trips. However if you build a hot fire in it will probably warp, so throwing a fire blanket on top of it has been recommended.

Also a local welder on Front Range Kayakers told me he will make them as well. Shoot me a PM if interested and I can try to put you in touch.

Not the cheapest solution and probably weighs 6 lbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts