Mountain Buzz banner

61 - 80 of 197 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Wow, am jealous.

Beautiful work there 4runner. A question though, never having done a stitch and glue boat, but are you going to put 1xsomething on top (flush with the top on the inside of the hatch) of the bulkheads before decking it?

The Briggs Dory uses ribs, which require said wood to hold them apart, but it seems ply is a little flimsy laterally, especially in a flip type situation where gear would crash into the bulkhead, and possibly break the glue joint ?

Sorry, I are an engineer LOL! Enquiring minds and all.

Here's an image of the Briggs under construction to illustrate what I probably pooched in the explanation, at least I THINK I attached it..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Not just the glue joint--there is fiberglass tape at all the ply-ply corners which functions the same as a wood batten (and has a similar glued surface area). If you think of a cedarstrip canoe, there are no ribs, fiberglass inside and out holds all the wood together so it's more of a stressed skin than a plank-on-frame construction type.

The gutters will all be wood-framed for shape and dimensional strength. Using western red cedar for the main frames (and lightweight/low density/stiffness/rot resistance) and jatoba for the hatch lips themselves (density/impact resistance).

I have, however, thought about gear crashing into the hatches. Seems like a lot of bulk/weight slamming into those southco latches and also the risk of gear jamming the latch so it won't open. I'm thinking of a few footman loops on the inside and some strategic straps to secure the load internally. 'Rig to flip'

You can take the rafter out of the raft, but...

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I have, however, thought about gear crashing into the hatches. Seems like a lot of bulk/weight slamming into those southco latches and also the risk of gear jamming the latch so it won't open. I'm thinking of a few footman loops on the inside and some strategic straps to secure the load internally. 'Rig to flip'

Nice, hadn't thought about glassing it in place, but then I know little about stitch and glue construction. Doesn't seem as strong, to me anyway, from an adhesion aspect, as wood screwed to wood.

Good point on the southco latches, another thing I hadn't thought about, but I DID buy some footman's loops for the interior to keep things like propane bottles and heavier items from laying on the deck while the boat (hopefully never) is upside down. Here is the ONLY source I found for brass footman loops:

https://wcircle.com/inc/searchresults?s=footman&ss=footman&n=316579

Stainless and nickel plated ones are readily available, but look for Brass (sorry, am a purist in this regard) are almost impossible to locate, they are priced very reasonably in my opinion.

Again. gorgeous work, you should be very proud of your accomplishment, and I mean that !!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Oh wow! That looks awesome!!:D

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
High enough for me!

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=12372000

Nice looking build. You can always just slow it down when the water gets skinny
Thanks Ron! Yeah, it's deep enough, and not too fast. Planning on a 15-18 mile overnight. I plan to relax my butt off. It's been a busy summer and a busy build, and I'm not worried about finding whitewater this time of year, just moving water and a nice campsite.

I know I'll hit rocks eventually, just don't want to do it right away.

By the way, didn't realize you were on the Buzz. I've enjoyed seeing pics of your Oljeto on the Whitewater Dories group. The brown accents on your boat and oars look sharp.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks

I have been on here for a while.
I do like my new colors on Oljeto. I have started adding some "Bottle Green" accents on my oars and hoping to add to my boat stripes this winter if I can get some shop time.

61 - 80 of 197 Posts