Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 60 of 197 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
How's Bob?

Bob seems to be doing well, he just got back in the middle of my tour of duty from his home state of Maine, blew thru the ranger station on his way to some sort of harrasment training and seemed in good spirits despite all the flying and driving he did. Alvin is covering for him this week as I had prior commitments.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Put in for Main Salmon permits with me for next June!

Ok, I'll sign up for the 2 week course on how to navigate rec.gov...

Went 19 years with the 4 rivers lottery and never drew anything at all. I seriously doubt that I'll score one this year. What dates are you thinking? Early ? Late ? Mid ? weekend or mid week ?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I got my Andy Hutchinson/High Desert Dories GC Classic plans in the mail last week. Time to start a build!

I will probably blog it on Woodenboatpeople.

·
Registered
649 Posts
She isn't excatly a Dory but she isn't exactly a drift boat. She is self bailing and she runs whitewater really nice!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
She isn't excatly a Dory but she isn't exactly a drift boat. She is self bailing and she runs whitewater really nice!

Is hard to see the changes with it sitting on the trailer, just what did you modify to make it "Not exactly a dory". Where did you start your changes?

·
Registered
649 Posts
It is not fully decked, the only decked part is the stern. It has no hatches! I built it for one purpose, to run the Gauley river! I wasn't sure l would be bringing it home so l didn't do anything to special to her, she doesn't even have a name. But she made it and l would like to deck the boat and fix her up!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes it is, l bought the book, drift boats and river dorys and used the two pages sketch to build it. I honestly built it in two weeks. I was off work and worked on it all day for two weeks.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes it is, l bought the book, drift boats and river dorys and used the two pages sketch to build it.

Very cool. I corresponded with Mr. Fletcher. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. I was looking for his email on his website, but he invited snail mail, so I took pen to paper and wrote him the old-fashioned way.

I really like the way he studied the history to understand the construction and design.

I'd like to do a ply on frame boat after I finish my stitch and glue.

I honestly built it in two weeks. I was off work and worked on it all day for two weeks.

That is so impressive. Wow!

Probably the duration a lot of the original boats were built. Something we just don't do today. Wood boats get a year of painstaking work in someone's garage or custom shop...aluminum and glass boats are turned more quickly for production.

The original woodies weren't intended to be lifetime pieces..but to last 1-3 seasons of heavy guide use and then replaced. It's a testament to the construction methods and craftsmanship (and good boat care) that so many are still on the water.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes the book was is very informative! I never thought my boat would come back from the Gauley, that is why l built everything out of cheap plywood even the frames! I am going to build a Dory next year and do it right!

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Oh sweet!! I hadn't looked at this thread in a while, and just saw your progress on your boat Mtn4Runner!!

Between reading about what Buzz, Moulty Fulmer, and Martin Litton did with them, and now you and Curtis's builds, I just have to build my own. It might be a while till I have some money and time at the same time, but it's gonna happen!!

Make sure you protect your self from those resin fumes, nothing good for your health ever came out of a chemical factory!
I tip my helmet to you, best of luck with your build, now I have both an oar, and a dory thread to study up on for my future projects!!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Oh sweet!! I hadn't looked at this thread in a while, and just saw your progress on your boat Mtn4Runner!!

Between reading about what Buzz, Moulty Fulmer, and Martin Litton did with them, and now you and Curtis's builds, I just have to build my own. It might be a while till I have some money and time at the same time, but it's gonna happen!!

Figure ~$2,500 for a fully fiberglassed Andy Hutchinson design if you're good at scrounging the little miscellaneous parts. Could be more than that if you have to make a lot of hardware store and tool runs. I'm currently at $2k, all the big parts are bought, and I think I'll have enough material (ply and glass) left over to build a custom drybox for my raft).

Make sure you protect your self from those resin fumes, nothing good for your health ever came out of a chemical factory!
I tip my helmet to you, best of luck with your build, now I have both an oar, and a dory thread to study up on for my future projects!!

Fair warning, thank you. I'm good about wearing my charcoal respirator when painting, and a dust mask when sanding (especially epoxy/glass) but not so good about wearing the respirator when glassing...epoxy doesn't have an odor, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have fumes.

Outstanding progress! Beautiful work, way to go !!!
Thanks M! Looking forward to uniting our dories on a river this summer.

41 - 60 of 197 Posts