Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yup gloating a little got my first roll and many more today unfortunatly i had to to learn on my own which meant many swims anyway how bout some tips for all of us trying to learn on our own due to small /nonexistant paddleing comunities in our areas thanks helix

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
yup gloating a little got my first roll and many more today unfortunatly i had to to learn on my own which meant many swims anyway how bout some tips for all of us trying to learn on our own due to small /nonexistant paddleing comunities in our areas thanks helix
Good on ya! :grin: Practice, read books and watch videos. EJ's rolling and bracing video is good. Roll is mental. "Set-up point" is good for building a confident combat roll. For me that's kissing the cockpit rim, knuckes near the water surface, feeling pressure on the power blade, then Bam! hip snap and roll back up!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Agreed, a good set up has been key to my roll. I notice if I take my time in flows (not to long) to get in good position my success increases significantly.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
A2???

Where are you kayaking in Ann Arbor??? I grew up around there. Thought I heard something about a possible play spot, but not sure. Would be nice to know for when I go back to visit family and friends.

Laurie

·
Registered
73 Posts
Remember the head comes out last...wait, that didn't sound right..oh well. You know what I mean. Congratz. A wise man told me after I learned that "every kayaker is just between swims." It is nice to not have to swim when you don't have too though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are you kayaking in Ann Arbor??? I grew up around there. Thought I heard something about a possible play spot, but not sure. Would be nice to know for when I go back to visit family and friends.

Laurie

laurie i was practicing in the river at gallop park however most of the locals with playboats play just below skips canoe livery or at a place they call the tubbs just upstream from the bridge neer tubbs road and huron river drive intersection there is a local group called rsck kayak the spot below skips is said to be a 2 or 3 depending on water levels but im not sure how acurate that is due to my general lack of whitewater experience if you google rsck kayak club you should be able to get on their mailing list i am on it now and am not a member you just have to get a u of m username and password which are free and you dont have to be a student

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would like to thank a couple of locals for giving me tips last tues evening that set me up and gave me the confidance to try also for walking me through
a proper wet exit and drilling me till i did it thanks guys happy boating also want to thank all of you for the tips given and those still to come

·
Registered
263 Posts
1. keep your head down
2. keep your head down
3. keep your head down!!!

...oh, and really focus on snapping the hips--I think those are the 2 biggest "bad habits" people have (myself included) that screw up their roll

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ann Arbor Whitewater

Congrats! I agree with the previous posts... practice, practice, practice and EJ's Rolling and Bracing is one of the best videos out there.

On a separate note, I never knew Ann Arbor had whitewater... I went to Michigan State for undergrad and law school and the closest we got to whitewater was videos... The Red Cedar doesn't exactly have tons of play spots and I sure I wouldn't want to swim in it! ;-)

Anyway... good luck and GO STATE!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The first rule of Fight Club is, "You do not talk about fight club."
The second rule of Fight Club is, "YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!!!"
The third rule is...keep your head down.

Jay H is right...

The set up is actually pretty easy most of the time. The hip snap is almost natural. But keeping the head down... it takes practice.

When my roll doesn't succeed, that is the reason 95% of the time.

David

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another thing that helps is confidence... It sounds weird, but it really helps. The second you doubt your roll you'll start missing it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fellow Michigander here! I would second the motion to: GO STATE!

Besides the play spot on the Huron, I hear there's one on the Kalamazoo. I cannot remember the exit off of 94, but it's after BC, before K-zoo. Brought my boat one February and couldn't locate the hole. Plus it snowed, so I didn't look too hard.

The key to life for me is also the set up. I know if I take the time to set up, I will roll. I'm a big believer in EJs advice: f"ocus on the task at hand" and setting up is my task. I don't doubt my roll, or think about what is coming up. Those thoughts just do not enter my mind.

Given that though, I've been between swims for a while now, (afraid to talk about it too much) and I know that it could all change any day!:) I've seen a couple of people lose their roll, no matter how solid it was, the minute they started doubting it. I really try to respect the fact that I'm between swims. I play a lot on my way down the river and roll many, many times, (practice), on each run I do.

Anyway congrats and have fun in the old home state. It's a beautiful place and a nice place to visit. (Laurie, we should go back together sometime. See the families and then check out the boating scene.)

Deb

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Three Spartans on MB??? Who would have thought that??? Sparty On!

Deb - Boating together in MI would be very weird... if the stars align, I'm in!

Laurie

·
Registered
9 Posts
The best advice I got was to start playing around. When most people learn their roll, they flip over with their paddle already set up, but on moving water, nobody flips over in the set up position. So do stuff like putting the paddle behind your head and flip over, or hold it with one hand, and learn to orient it while you're flipped over. Playboating will make your roll bomber. Fo sho.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Keep your head down, and keep your head down.

If you focus on ending your roll with your ear on your shoulder, that helps. You'll look funny, but you won't be upside down!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks so much for all the responses everybody nd keep em coming i went out gain today and got my first try but had some problems on others even had to wet exit twice but i know its all about the learning curve and thats why i was out there practice mke perfect if im lucky and i m noticing why im hving problems most of the time now if i could just KEEP MY DAMN HEAD DOWN and focus on my setup ill be doing great one of the problems today ws on occasion i dont think i ws putting my left blade over my bot which was simply spinning the boat in place instead of rolling let me know if this doesnt sound right as always all advice is not only apreciated but wanted the boat spun like a top when this cenario happened every time safe boating and thanks again

·
Registered
907 Posts
sounds like your pulling the paddle blade across your body and not letting it glide on the surface...You might want to check your blade angle when you set up... make sure its flat or a little open to glide across the surface before you pull down on it to use it for leverage...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
actually when i hit it just right honestly i dont think i really pull down for leverage it feels like i just pop up and im on top i dont usually try to intentionally pull down when i do i never seem to complete my roll i usually set up at a 90 to the boat and simply sweep to the stearn trying to keep my head down and i usually pop up

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ive had my yak for about 3 weeks now... learned my roll in about 3 days.... that was my problem in the beginning as well...(head down)... i couldnt do a c to c either... soo i went to a sweep, but now that ive learned that i can do a c to c.... i actually today did my first legit hand roll.... i can roll 50/50 on my strong side... on my offside... nothing.... think ive rolled 3-4 times total on my offside...i get the boat all the way up on its side... just cant get it flat on the water....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts