Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are going to make Wookie smile from above. I knew Wookie long before I started rafting. To have his big boat in the quiver is a privilege. He is missed by many, not only on the river, he was an amazing man.

·
Registered
RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
462 Posts
We lost a brother but his boat is staying in the family. The Big Tuna will be ready to roll some Northern Territory by spring. Next years Rock n Row will be big.
Nice looking Rig Neff!!! I'm sure you already know, but John and his son at Blackadar are a great resource for Sweep boats and just over the hill from you.

It may be worth looking at how Waterman builds their frames as well.

Have fun and let the snow fly!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
What are the dimensions on those tubes? And what size motor are you intending? I have run similar sized rigs with sweeps and it is not very successful - there's a reason sweep rigs on the MF have floors.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,443 Posts
What are the dimensions on those tubes? And what size motor are you intending? I have run similar sized rigs with sweeps and it is not very successful - there's a reason sweep rigs on the MF have floors.
Says the only man I know (and I would make a substantial wager, the only man period) who has run his sweep snout down the Royal Gorge ( at what I imagine was in the 3-3.5k range) VERY successfully. So much so that the snot nosed 14 year old kid (me) in the bow didn't have a clue as to how big of a deal it was.

I'm sure the Big Tuna is a standard snout, 22'x36"

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Indeed the Big Tuna is a standard 36x22.

I’ll pass on sweeping the MFS. I have my 18’ maravia for those trips. There is a sweep cat on the MFS. Big blue one.

I’ll be more likely to run the main during high water, Clark fork, lower Flathead, Yellowstone and some lakes too. Hoping to tame slide rapid in the lower main. There’s a bunch of the snake river I’d like to explore. Dragging small children on tubes is also on the menu.

As far as motors, I’m looking at a Honda 15hp and an Evenrude 2 stroke 30hp. I realize the 2 stroke can’t run the grand. We have some different restrictions on the rivers I’ve mentioned. Kind of depends on what I find. I’m not opposed to a 50/30 jet either. A customer of mine rebuilds and services boat motors, so we’ll see what we find.

I’ve got to get her washed down and 303’d up this week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts