Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it finally happened - The woodland powerstove website is down. Odd, since the stock in the stoves have been replenished at AAA, Down River and NRS.

Linky

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Ya I saw that for a while, I was able to find one for $112 with free shipping online and just bought one a week ago.

A friend of mine had one on my Lodore trip 2 weeks ago and I loved the stove, really seemed like an upgrade from a blaster.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Side note - can anyone confirm the regulator pressure range for the powerstove? Mine is acting up and I'm trying to locate a new one but the current one doesn't have a number on it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Okay, another chapter in the saga of Woodland Powerstove.

It's been on my list for a while, but didn't need it right away, then this thread started...

Today:
I spoke with Fisheries and they said they think he has moved to Idaho, and/or picked up an associate who will manufacture sub-components, but they haven't gotten any product from him since November, including stuff that they ordered then. They are out of stock, don't know when/if they will see more, can't leave a message, don't get email response.

Spoke with NRS, they have some, get pretty much the same response as Fisheries (and everyone else). But they also say they will stand by any product they sell, regardless of source.

Fisheries said order from NRS, if I really want one and NRS still has them (for $149). Their $112 was an old price, if they get restocked, it may sell at that price, it may not,

so:

a) I could sit for 6 months, see NRS run out, not be able to get one.
b) Sit for 6 months, get one from Fisheries, but see the price move up to the NRS price.
c) there is a remote possibility that a bunch show up at Fisheries tomorrow, and I might get one for $112.

Fisheries said they put their stock on an end-cap at their physical store, and they were gone in a day. They did that thinking they were getting more. You would think that someone would eventually take the product over if Woodland folds, but you might also be wrong.

NRS assures me mine is in the mail...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is significant demand for the stoves and parts for the stoves. They just need to get their $h*t together and there's potential for a ton of sales.

Still, that being said, are you willing to gamble for $30. I would pull the trigger and be done with it...but that's me...Mr. Vegas :)

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
I am with RnR on this. The buddy of mine who brought the stove to my Lodore trip had to wait 6 months to get his. So once I saw the NRS had it in stock I was ready to dish out the full price for it. Lucky for me I found a link for $112, I would have paid the full price otherwise.

I used the new stove as a primary blaster on Deso and it worked great, heated up dish and shower water without any problems and we brewed coffee on it as well. Great little stove.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Data previously omitted:

Fisheries expressed the opinion that if new stoves get built and shipped, the price would probably go up. Not necessarily because of the obvious demand, but because going outside for component parts would probably increase costs.

This is indeed a one-man operation, Fisheries said they think he works out of his garage (location TBD). They were hopeful he was going to do that (add an associate), because they thought it might reduce backlog (their last order has been only partially filled, since November).

I'm hoping that NRS takes it over, finds a stable manufacturer, and keeps it in-house. They already do that with cast aluminum, pipe, plastics, etc. Certainly the design is simple enough. I'm sort of surprised we haven't seen any Asian knock-offs, but perhaps tho the market is passionate about the product, it is too thin to matter.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Jim disappears every year for a few months. Last year he didn't ship any stoves...to my knowledge. Down River got a bunch and still has them in stock. The stoves are so simple, that if something did break, you could take it to anyone who can weld and have it fixed. The regulator could easily be retro-fitted as well.

Don't wait to buy one. It is an incredible little device. Jim has had multiple offers to be bought out. Maybe he will give in, one day. But, he also might disappear for good and never be seen again ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Rafting seems to support a bunch of niche operators; hand wash stations, stoves, custom dryboxes, dropbags, tables, dropbag-tables. I think Holly of Vanguard rafts is a one person operation. And then there is NRS, which tho they are certainly pervasive, seems to have the same few people year after year.

I wonder how big the WW boating industry really is...

·
Registered
323 Posts
My brand new one is in a drybox, headed to the Chama next week. Major points to Fisheries for good advice. Also, thanks to buzzards for bringing this up.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI - that stove doesn't need to be in a drybox. I've submerged it plenty of times without issue :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
So, is it just the convenience of heating up water fast that has you guys so stoked on these blasters? My wife and I discussed it a little while ago and couldn't come up with a burning reason to buy one. Maybe we're clueless, but generally when a meal is ready, we put water on the PS to heat while we eat and it's ready by the time we're ready to do the dishes. Just curious.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts