Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had someone on a trip get the hose too close to the stove and burn a hole in it a few years ago. I wrapped a bunch of electrical tape around it and it works fine but should probably get it replaced.
+1 on this, but in my case that "someone" was me :rolleyes: if you go with the powerstove, i'd suggest buying a spare hose in case this happens on day 2 of a multi day float.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been using a Woodland Power Stove for a while now and it packs up small and overall a great stove. Easy for coffee water and doing dishes. As I recall not as expensive as the Blaster either.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here is my solution for controlling the flame on my Woodland Blaster. No one seemed to be able to figure out the direction to turn the standard regulator as it needed to be turned turned left handed to turn off and I found it prone to fail. I am not a big fan of non regulated flames and prefer to use a lower outlet pressure. I just added a needle valve from a weed burner that is clearly marked. It is easy to regulate the flame for lighting or simmering a large pot. No need to fiddle with two valves and I think it's safer.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here is my solution for controlling the flame on my Woodland Blaster. No one seemed to be able to figure out the direction to turn the standard regulator as it needed to be turned turned left handed to turn off and I found it prone to fail. I am not a big fan of non regulated flames and prefer to use a lower outlet pressure. I just added a needle valve from a weed burner that is clearly marked. It is easy to regulate the flame for lighting or simmering a large pot. No need to fiddle with two valves and I think it's safer. View attachment 62105
I think that you have a great solution there, it looks much better than the factory setup.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yes indeed! Great solution! dsrtrat, do you have a link to the needle valve? If that's the standard 10 psi regulator that comes with the WPS, the needle valve looks like it is same size diameter inlet/outlet pipe?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Buy a Bayou Classic regulator and hose from eBay. You can get the regulator, hose, and needle valve for about the same price as just the needle valve from Home Depot. I see them as low as $16-17, and a needle valve runs $13-14.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've had my Powerstove for around 6 years and have not had any issues. Its a great stove and I love it. I've not had such good experience with the Partner blaster. We had one fail on a Grand Canyon trip. It was shooting out a jet of flames about 6 feet high. We were lucky that no one got hurt. Incidentally, on that same trip our regular Partner cook stove also failed. Luckily we scrounged a spare stove off another group.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes indeed! Great solution! dsrtrat, do you have a link to the needle valve? If that's the standard 10 psi regulator that comes with the WPS, the needle valve looks like it is same size diameter inlet/outlet pipe?
Flame Engineering V-334 Standard Needle Valve.
You can get it on Amazon.The regulator is a Marshall Series 300 20 psi max that Partner uses with their stoves. Any single stage regulator will work but I like the compact size. It is adjustable. I don't know where Partner sets them I think I remember around 14 psi. 1/4 inch NPT threads.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I've not had such good experience with the Partner blaster. We had one fail on a Grand Canyon trip. It was shooting out a jet of flames about 6 feet high. We were lucky that no one got hurt. Incidentally, on that same trip our regular Partner cook stove also failed. Luckily we scrounged a spare stove off another group.
That would indicate you were passing liquid thru the unit, instead of vapor. No way with the diameter of the jet orfice would it pass enough propane vapor to produce 6 foot flames. Could be the reason your stove failed as well, the vapor regulators weren't made to pass liquid propane at all. I saw an incident on a Westwater trip where the boater had brought an aluminum forklift fuel tank, which is designed to pass liquid and not vapor, they couldn't understand why nothing they had which ran on propane would work, it apparently seized up all their regulators as the gear wouldn't work on my vapor bottle either. Vapor bottles can pass liquid as well if they are laid on their side, or inverted.

FWIW

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
MNicols wrote
You can get it on Amazon.The regulator is a Marshall Series 300 20 psi max that Partner uses with their stoves. Any single stage regulator will work but I like the compact size. It is adjustable. I don't know where Partner sets them I think I remember around 14 psi. 1/4 inch NPT threads.

MNicols
I found the Flame Engineering needle valve on Amazon, having problems finding the Marshall regulator. Do you have a supplier for the regulator?

I have a very old woodland power stove that never worked for me. I think this needle valve and regulator might be a good thing to get my power stove back in business. Based on
Electric-Mayhem's post on this thread, I ordered a new regulator from the supplier link. But would be open to a set up like dsrtrat posted.

·
Registered
346 Posts
MNicols wrote

MNicols
I found the Flame Engineering needle valve on Amazon, having problems finding the Marshall regulator. Do you have a supplier for the regulator?

I have a very old woodland power stove that never worked for me. I think this needle valve and regulator might be a good thing to get my power stove back in business. Based on
Electric-Mayhem's post on this thread, I ordered a new regulator from the supplier link. But would be open to a set up like dsrtrat posted.
It seems like the 300 series regulator I mentioned is an older model that has been replaced by the 130 series. The picture on the top is the one that Partner Steel uses on their stoves.. MEGR 130 series 20 PSI fixed. Easy to find on Amazon.
The lower picture shows the older model 300 series. I carry a spare regulator and hose in my repair stuff but have never had this style fail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been weighing getting the Woodland stove. I realize the Partner Blaster is a solid reliable piece of kit but I’m looking for something that packs a bit smaller. Several years back I heard getting parts was a bit of an issue but that seems to have passed. Anyone have recent experience getting Best Convection Toaster Oven 2021?
View attachment 62054

I don’t have part numbers, I used a couple of industrial valves a friend had. Any fine needle valve rated for gas will work. I think they are 1/4 inch. The setup requires a little getting used too. The propane pressure fluctuates slowly a bit. Probably not for everyone. I dig it because it almost can’t fail. I lent it out to some friends with minor instructions and they figured it out fine.
Agree with you!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought my PS from NRS just before they disappeared for a while. It has a different valve set up than most of them. I really like how easy it is to control.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I ordered a replacement hose and regulator from PS about a year ago for my Blaster, what they sent is identical to your photo, agreed, is a huge improvement over what they were using.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Bayou Classic sells a regulator, hose, and needle valve as a replacement for "turkey cookers" for about $20 on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I bought my PS from NRS just before they disappeared for a while. It has a different valve set up than most of them. I really like how easy it is to control.

View attachment 62957
That is the same one I have too. I like it...surprisingly easy to adjust give small adjustments make a big difference. A friend bought one last spring and it has the big red turny knob and another new one someone brought on my Grand trip in November had the same one. It worked fine...but like the little lever better. Kinda wanna replace the lever and I NEED to replace the hose at some point (as discussed earlier in the thread).

21 - 40 of 41 Posts