Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been weighing getting the Woodland stove. I realize the Partner Blaster is a solid reliable piece of kit but I’m looking for something that packs a bit smaller. Several years back I heard getting parts was a bit of an issue but that seems to have passed. Anyone have recent experience getting replacement parts?

·
Registered
228 Posts
There are 3 of them in our group. One is going on 10 years, haven’t needed any replacement parts and same with mine (5 years) I believe the partner puts out more btus but it is significantly bigger and I have zero interest in owning one. It fits my needs and Our group size is normally 10-15

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
In my opinion, the woodland stove is a worthy replacement for smaller 4 to 6 person trips, but nothing puts out heat like the blaster. I own both and like both, they each have their own little niche.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Oh, and for what it's worth, the woodland power stove does pack a little smaller, but it doesn't determine which unit I take on the river, more a group size thing, The nice thing about the way it packs is it does pack a little flatter

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Not much to go wrong on the Woodland Power Stove other then the regulator. Partner Blaster has one of those too...so seems about the same level of durability. The Power Stove is made of stainless steel and, while I can't find anywhere saying what its made of, I think the Blaster is mild steel so it will rust.

IMHO, the Power Stove is more versatile. I've used both to cook with a skillet, and the Power Stove is definitely better for that duty. I've never put them on the same duty side by side, but the Power Stove does great for dish water and such too. I think the Power Stove is arguably more stable since its legs lock into position and the Blaster doesn't.

Power stove is half the weight of the Blaster, 4lbs vs 8lbs. Blaster has twice the output of the Power Stove. I'm not sure that translates to boiling water twice as fast or not...but could make a difference. I think if given the choice I might take two Power Stoves over a single blaster. So far...the Power Stove has been more then sufficient for most trips I've been on but I'm happy to use either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
another vote for the woodland. 2 seasons so far and it is great. our main use is heating chicky pails for dish water

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks. I’m very familiar with both so not necessarily looking for a pro/con of each. I was just curious if anyone had recent experience with them for parts, not that I think there is much to go wrong. I agree the regulator is probably the most likely to fail but those are relatively commonly available.

But from the responses nobody has a bad parts sourcing experience.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If you mess up the spreaders or need a new drop in diffuser that MIGHT be a bit hard to get a hold of but at least for now their website has spares for everything here... Store – PowerStove.

As we've all said...the only stuff that might need replacing after a while(that wouldn't warrant getting a whole new stove) is the hose and regulator...which as you say should be relatively easy to find locally or online from many sources.

I had someone on a trip get the hose too close to the stove and burn a hole in it a few years ago. I wrapped a bunch of electrical tape around it and it works fine but should probably get it replaced.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Your local propane supplier can replace hose and fittings. It's a 10 psi regulator, about $10. Yes, if I was running electrical tape @ 10 psi I'd replace...

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
One side effect of the PS Blaster is the person who gets up early
and starts that copy of a jet engine
will get the rest of the camp awake and moving by the time coffee is made.

Makes for faster breaking camp and loading boats !!

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I don't use the power stove for more than heating water, with it turned down it will soot up the bottoms of your pots in a hurry. IMHO neither that, nor the blaster is a suitable replacement for a stove to cook on. That being said, on the cooking end of things, we did use the blaster to caramelize the sugar on top of the creme brulet desert we had at Tony Point one night.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
PS and Woodland both make toasted bagels really quick. have never seen a PS or Woodland break and need parts. I'm a woodland guy because of weight, packed size, the flame defuser and fire log set up.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have seen a regulator fail on both. I found a thread about someone using twin inline needle valves on a power stove so I did the same. It sure lets it roar if you want it too. No thing left to fail really, besides mechanical abuse. The fittings on the power stove to regulator are not standard propane. They are some weird 9/16 left hand oxygen fitting or something. Propane place was scratching their head.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have had a woodland for 5 years and it goes on every river and car camping trip. Have yet to have a problem. I have no regrets.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
522 Posts
Links to the items that you found. I just had my second Woodland regulator fail. It is the old style and I believe the new one is better or if I’m gonna spend money would prefer to go with your set up .

I have seen a regulator fail on both. I found a thread about someone using twin inline needle valves on a power stove so I did the same. It sure lets it roar if you want it too. No thing left to fail really, besides mechanical abuse. The fittings on the power stove to regulator are not standard propane. They are some weird 9/16 left hand oxygen fitting or something. Propane place was scratching their head.

·
Registered
397 Posts

I don’t have part numbers, I used a couple of industrial valves a friend had. Any fine needle valve rated for gas will work. I think they are 1/4 inch. The setup requires a little getting used too. The propane pressure fluctuates slowly a bit. Probably not for everyone. I dig it because it almost can’t fail. I lent it out to some friends with minor instructions and they figured it out fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I reused the oem fitting on the regulator as the oxygen fitting didn’t feel right even though the threads measured correct. I’ll bet you could buy the fitting from woodland or they could shed light on the correct one. I wanted to be able to have the regulator assembly as a backup and easily switchable.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts