Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did a run down Castle Creek above Slaughterhouse on 5-30-09. There was an obvious riverwide log at the music school put in. Being reasonably bright fellows, we put in below this.

Half a mile below that there was another riverwide log with a sneak on the right that might be a portage at higher flows (we had 900 cfs or so on Slaughterhouse).

Slip, slide, and mystery move your way through the fun bouldery crux, and then there's a final riverwide mandatory portage in the class II-ish runout above the confluence with the Roaring Fork. Enjoy!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ran this on Saturday; in addition to those two longs, there is one in the crux rapid, where the general line is in the river-left slot, just below the water. It's not very visible from above, and you could run the rapid clean, but if your bow subs out or if you're not carrying enough speed, you can be in trouble. Look before you leap.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yeah, there's always wood in Castle and it's always moving. Good to always be heads up in there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found that hidden log in the left-hand slot. Luckily it grabbed my paddle and not my boat or my head, but it was still an exciting 15 seconds. I would recommend taking one of the less obvious center lines in that rapid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts