Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading out there next weekend, and was wondering what the backcountry is like. I'll probably ski the resort on one day, and would like to explore BC on Sunday. Any suggestions? I looked around on the net, didn't really find anything interesting.

In the same thread, should I look for space ina some hut there and just ski in on Saturday, play in the afternoon, Sunday morning, and return on Sunday afternoon?

Thanks,

tom.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Wolf Creek Backcountry

As with most backcountry runs, it's best to go with someone who knows the area. But, the logistics for the run off the Pass are fairly straightforward. From the parking lot on the north side of the pass (on the right, uphill of the area), you can ascend up a trail (not the double track)to a saddle directly north of the paking lot. Head along the powerline for about 50 yards and then start decending down the fall line to the northeast.

You will head through a bunch of glades; some open and others tight, for a good mile or so. When you come across the next set of powerlines, follow them down to the highway.

**If you head too far to the east (moving right) at the top, you'll wind up at the top of a nasty avy slope. Don't just head off to the north of this ridge either, it becomes super tight and gullied out.**

Scope out the exit on the east side of the pass- there will be a bunch of tracks coming out to the road.

It's a great run- if you follow the directions, there isn't any significant avy danger. Get a topo and follow the second drainage out to the east side of 160- just north/northeast of the words"picnic area" on the link below. Have fun.

Here's a link to a topo: http://www.trails.com/explore/topo.aspx?lat=37.5012168884277&lon=-106.801055908203&size=s&Theme=Topo&Scale=Scale16m&name=CDT: Wolf Creek Pass to Sawtooth Mountain, CO&TrailID=HGR199-036

1 - 3 of 3 Posts