Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. New to the Buzz and I have a question that looks like this is the best place to get it answered. I want to store my PVC boat inflated in an enclosed trailer. Is this a bad idea for the winter? The temps will fluctuate?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Great question. I'm in the same position. No room in the garage & can't afford a storage unit. My situation would be on a non-enclosed trailer, with a tarp or boat cover of some kind. SLC area temps can get below zero in the winter with lots of snow. Pump it up 1/2 to 2/3, cover it, and see how it does?

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
You can store it outside,I've done it. Just cover it and if you can brush the snow off after a dump it'll help save the tarp. Oh yeah and cover itI have seen a perfectly good boat get destroyed by it not being covered for 1 winter season

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always have one raft on a trailer. I found the car covers by Budge work really well, both winter and summer, have UV protection. They last 3 to 4 years and cost about $40.00

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you don't go the car cover route, at least make sure you get the heavy duty kind of tarp. Would seem silly to potentially ruin your boat because you bought the $7.99 tarp that rips and frays after two storms instead of the $25 thicker one with reinforced metal grommets that handles serious weather. I also recommend securing each grommet(even if it's just with a bungy cord) to cut down on the "flap damage".

For Fat Guy in Lil Boat, if yours is in a covered trailer, you should be good. Just make sure you keep out the small vermin looking for a winter home.

·
Banned
116 Posts
He said enclosed trailer, if it is a cargo trailer as I am thinking there should be no problems. Problems occur with the folding or rolling of the PVC if it is very cold, so as long as the boat is just sitting and not being moved I don't see a problem?

·
Jared
733 Posts
I always have one raft on a trailer. I found the car covers by Budge work really well, both winter and summer, have UV protection. They last 3 to 4 years and cost about $40.00
What size do you use? I have a 14x7 for reference...

·
Registered
184 Posts
pvc brittleness

So I have a maravia that is deflated, folded, and covered on a trailer due to getting off westwater a couple weeks ago. I need to move it to my back shed but it has suddenly turned arctic in colorado with highs in 10s and lows in the -20s. Is there a temp I should wait for berfore moving it? I'd hat for the pvc or urethane to crack. Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The biggest enemy to your PVC raft is UV radiation from the sun. Make sure that the cover you use is opaque to UV. For example, a piece of clear plastic sheeting will leave your raft exposed. And don't assume a $10 tarp from the local big box store will do the job either.

Moisture could also be a problem. That might sound funny, given that it's a raft your asking about, but what I mean is that water expands when it freezes and can cause damage. In the world of geology, this phenomenon is called frost wedging and is a significant weathering process. In other words, the freeze thaw cycle could be hard on the welds and valves by exerting hydraulic pressure on them in a way the designers of the boat didn't intend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts