Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Crested Butte, CO for the winter and I'd like to get some rafting in while I'm here, but I'm not familiar with the area at all. Are there any rivers within a few hours drive that would be worth doing during the winter? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The Colorado river will be running - but it may/will freeze over at times. Sections include Glenwood Canyon, Westwater and Cataract Canyon. The Salt (near Phoenix, AZ) may or may not flow from rains at times during the winter and may or may not flow from snow melt starting in March. Sometimes there may or may not be releases on the Rio Grande near Taos, NM in winter but it may/will freeze over at times. Mostly I would focus on skiing at Crested Butte or get ready to drive to the pacific Northwest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I was afraid of. Looks like I'll just stick to skiing for a while. I'll be working my way up the west coast in April/May and will have my mini-me. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
179 Posts
That is two votes for the Ark. It's only about one and half hour drive from CB ( little more to Parkdale/Gorge). 450 cfs down stream right now. Bring your drysuit. Also Moab Daily is a fun run, and always has plenty flow. 3800cfs now

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Shoshone section of the Colorado in GlenwoodSprings is still fantastic,fun class III for this time of year. Also the Arkansas thru Salida is still flowing well, and the Gunnison River is doing good for this time of year. I have a contact list of many boaters in all these areas if you want to give me jingle at 970-497-6512, would be glad to help!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts