Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving to Springs from Idaho at start of December. Is there winter paddling in Colorado? I'm a class III/IV paddler/playboater and I'll be looking for all the people to go with I can find, as often as possible.
Anything anyone can tell me about winter paddling and colorado paddling in general would be really appreciated. What's doable in one day from Springs? Where in the state are the best surf waves? Surf waves close to Springs? Day/half-day class III or IV trips within couple hours of Springs? And most of all, who's ready to go boating with me?! :p
See y'all on the water!
-Mike Griffin

·
Registered
109 Posts
the ark

The Arkansas is low, but still runnable. If you're up for running the Numbers and the Gorge (both 3/4 at that level), let me know, I'd be up for running it. The Gorge is about an hour's drive from Co. Springs, and the Numbers are close to 2.5-3. Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] when you're around and let's talk :)

tom.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I live in the springs. Send me an email when you get to town and I will go with you. The Ark is very low right now. Parkdale may still be doable but no surf waves at this level. I would think the numbers would be too low at this level but I could be wrong. Ice will probably be forming in the Gorge by Jan. Local club starts with pool time in January so let me know and I can take you out there with me if you are interested in that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ran the Ark last Thurs. It was 70 degrees out and beautiful. Then, that weekend my boats were covered in snow. The water temp has just turned cold, but when a nice day comes, you can handle it. From CS you can get there in just over an hour (leave work for an early lunch and just don't come back). Park down the block so your boss doesn't see your boats. There are alot of options, and few people. Also, easy access/ ample parking on the river.

·
Registered
703 Posts
winter paddlin

im in denver for the holiday and im looking for some winter paddling, if the weather warms up again and not working ill try the gorge w/ anyone interested or waterton canyon, i think thats about it for whats running. im a III boater.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I would think the Gorge would have substantial ice by now. If you decide to go, the move at Sunshine at this level is not class III and that hole looks nice and sticky.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I disagree.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go or no?

Well, I'm up for going if anyone's going, as long as you're sure you know what we're getting into. I'm good for class 3 or 4, but I've never been on Colorado water yet so I don't know much about any of the runs, especially what they do at different levels. I'd hate for my first Colorado trip to end trapped under an iceflow or some crap like that.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Westwater is the only quality winter boating. It is a fun level right now, lots of play and the desert is always a little warmer. Start early and you will really enjoy it, a great way to introduce you to western boating.
:D

·
Registered
703 Posts
go or no

prob not a good idea and i havent done the gorge yet, and ya it would be a bad idea to get trapped for the first time, so unless the weather warms up and water appears then i would say boating is prob over, but when spring comes.....

·
Super Moderator
4,016 Posts
One thing to be wary of on Westwater is ice dams. I've heard that they form downstream of the rapids but can be scouted with a hike before you go boating. Add an extra day for that scouting...

There's also Shoshone which can be run in the winter, and if you continue down, Grizzley Creek has a sweet hot spring by the river just above Glenwood Springs - you'll be ready for that hot soak!

--Andy

·
Registered
703 Posts
Shoshone

ya Shoshone would just be realy cold, but come new years day ill be joining the annual event of kayaking that section keep any eye on this site for more information when the day gets closer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Winter paddling in Colorado

As a Colorado paddler who just moved to Idaho, I've got to say you made the wrong choice for paddling, but the right choice for skiing and almost everything else. Colorado paddling is good, don't get me wrong, but it's rockier and smaller than Idaho. It'll seem like creeking compared to the bigger water that you're used to. Watch your head. Also, it's more technical, less pushy, and the holes are deceptively sticky. Browns or the numbers at this level will be very creeky, but it will be fun. Shoshone the same, and very cold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts