Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving home to CO from CA for the holidays and I'm wondering if there is any purpose in bringing my boat. I started boating since I moved away from home so I know almost nothing about Colorado's rivers. Does anything flow in winter or is it all frozen?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
arkansa river in BV is ice free and 200 cfs at the numbers, about 400+ and warmer weather down in canon city, but no light in the gorge.

gore and shoshone on the colorado are still ice free as well, tho gore is getting cold and there is snow on the banks.

its your call, might be hard to find boaters. im on the ark for xmas if you want to paddle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've wanted to run numbers for quite a while, so it's tempting. I'm guessing it's still runnable at 200?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd say just leave your boat at home. The boating on the Ark is extremely low flow rock dodging in a kayak. It's worth it if you're nearby or very desperate for some paddling, but it isn't going to be super high quality paddling. It's definitely still fun in the winter... but not necessarily worth going out of your way to get on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,237 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy low water boating on the Ark. 250 in Pine Cree/Numbers currently. BOR has expressed they have lots of water to move, so I expect it to remain in the 250-300 range for the immediate future....this is decent water, remember 2012?...

Watch for ice. We have had a few cold nights in a row. The flow was shut down last week for a dive inspection on Twin Lakes, and some ice built up, but it looks like release coming back up got rid of most of it.

There is many miles of open water between Salida and the Royal Gorge too, not too exciting, but scenic class 2 with some random rapids.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy low water boating on the Ark. 250 in Pine Cree/Numbers currently. BOR has expressed they have lots of water to move, so I expect it to remain in the 250-300 range for the immediate future....this is decent water, remember 2012?...
Is Pine Creek/Numbers worth the drive from Vail?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have driven from Boulder to run Pine Creek/ Numbers at 250 (at least once, probably a few times) and thought it was very worthwhile! Elf run, but a lot of fun. Did a bunch of laps in 3 sisters for some off-season boof practice. (about a 3 hour drive so I camped). Send it!

·
Banned
131 Posts
looks like they bumped flows up a bit. Currently 263cfs through pine creek. That should enough to get through from the regular put in correct?

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
If you like boofs, splats and dufeks you will enjoy low water Ark boating. If your looking for big holes and freestyle features you will be disappointed. I would encourage you to come check it out any day that overnight temps are in the 20's as long as there is some sun, highs into the 40's and minimal winds. Many of us try to at least get 1 run a month through the winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm still on the fence. I enjoy low-volume creeking, so it could still be worth it. Maybe if I could put something together in Utah on the way out. Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So a question on the same topic, how much precipitation would it take to get the Golden WWP flowing at a usable rate this time of year? It's been so warm lately I've been hoping we'd get a snow storm followed by some rain and make something flow for a day or two.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So a question on the same topic, how much precipitation would it take to get the Golden WWP flowing at a usable rate this time of year? It's been so warm lately I've been hoping we'd get a snow storm followed by some rain and make something flow for a day or two.
This is a weather/water level scenario that would virtually never happen on Clear Creek. It will rarely budge significantly even in the summer due to rain. I don't know where people get these crazy ideas about Winter boating in Colorado. On a positive note the creek runs almost all summer on snowmelt and you could probably scrape down it now since the pools and channels are free of ice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just returned to CO from a year in the MidWorst. I was thinking about floating Salida to Rincon tomorrow with the soon to be wife. It's been a bit since we paddled because the water left MN months ago. Any opinions on this stretch? Just looking for a nice float with an little bumpy stuff. Could either raft or kayak it depends on my mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
4,237 Posts
Just returned to CO from a year in the MidWorst. I was thinking about floating Salida to Rincon tomorrow with the soon to be wife. It's been a bit since we paddled because the water left MN months ago. Any opinions on this stretch? Just looking for a nice float with an little bumpy stuff. Could either raft or kayak it depends on my mood.
Welcome back from MN! Do you love the Colorado winters more now?

Don't look now but you'll have a quite raftable 600 cfs down through that stretch according to the Wellsville gage. It's been rising over the last week so it may not have ice (don't trust me on that, hopefully someone else can give better beta). Shucks, I wish I could get down there for a run...

Congratulations on the soon-to-be nuptials! She must be a hearty soul if she's willing to go boating in Colorado the week before Christmas! :) But seriously, if you're prepared for it, the float should be really nice along that stretch, especially considering you should be in full sun for most of it all the way to where Bighorn Sheep Canyon starts to close in (Texas Creek?).

Have fun,

-AH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Andy.

After the coldest winter in 30 years for MN, I am more then happy to be back.

Last time I ran that stretch it was in a flash flood and the temp dropped from 100 to 50. I am sure tomorrow with a dry suite it will be a nice change. Leaning kayak for tomorrow yet the raft sits rigged on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts