Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really jonesin for the spring. Are there any overnighters that are still running this time of year in the Co-Ut area? Was considering doing a self-support Cataract right after x-mas, but now I'm not sure if that will come through...

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
790 Posts
Lower Gunnison maybe? Like Escalante canyon of the Gunnison. When I drove through Delta last week the water was flowing not frozen. Of course, that does not mean much regarding whats happening within a canyon.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Westwater might have ice dams, but check with the locals and see what the Co is doing around junction and Cataract should be fine this time of year. Though permits still required for both I think.

The black is running, cold in there though.

If it warms back up some, pine/numbers, browns, gorge has water this winter >500 is the plan till march.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's been cold in the Gunnison Basin and also along the west slope. Below zero last week in Junction. You are going to start seeing slush in the water soon if it is not already present. Nights are awful cold. Wait until February is my suggestion.

·
addict
741 Posts
hmmm i'm definitely feeling the winter paddling jones. i could potentially be down to blast through cataract on a self support kayak mission. i mean, there's only about 75 miles of flatwater, some mediocre class 3, and the potential for hypothermia. fuck it, i've been wanting to test out my new bivy sack anyway.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Would be interested in bombing down Cat as well for a self-support kayak trip. Tina and I were planning on leaving Tuesday afternoon. Were currently looking at a lower san juan trip... Open to ideas.

·
addict
741 Posts
anybody interested in a mexico mission in the next few weeks? i've got a jeep and some time to kill. let's do it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mexico?

Hey Tango,
I've got the next two weeks off. I know nothing about Mexico paddling, but am certainly interested in checking it out (I could roll out after Friday). May be able to recruit some others as well.
Kyle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Solstice Float...

Just had a nice solstice float on the Gunnison...We put in at Escalante and took out at Bridgeport with an overnight at the mouth of Dominguez Canyon. The weather was beautiful and the wildlife abundant. There was a little ice, but nothing too bad. COLD in the shade in the morning, but nothing the right gear can't fix!

Happy Winter floating to all my fellow boaters! Don't let the cold keep you off of the river!

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You really ought to just not pansy out on cat. Antelope canyon sucks anyways.
All my stuff is in Boulder... wouldn't be able to go get it and make it to the put-in for an early launch on the 26th. I want to go do Pine Creek/numbers now though... mid/late Jan run anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I want to go do Pine Creek/numbers now though... mid/late Jan run anyone?
Unless we get a week long stretch of 50 degree days there is no way to boat PC/#'s now. Regardless of what the gauges say there are solid ice dams all the way across the river - unrunnable unless you like swimming under ice sieves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts