Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard or had experience with WING inflatables? I guess they build boats for the military??
I saw a set of cat tubes on Craigslist for 1500 and they look pretty sweet but I've never seen one on any river nor heard any talk of them.
They use polyurethane fabric and welded seems so you would think they'de be pretty bad ass

·
Registered
339 Posts
Oh yeah, WING boats are the shit. I'm pretty sure (but not positive) they're not being made anymore and the people that made them now work for SOTAR.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've run Wings commercially. They used to have the military contract, but Demaree has it again. Our Wing's are my boat of choice if all of our Avon's are out. 1500 sounds like a good deal for Wing. I can't say much about how the cat tubes handle, I've only run round boats, but the owner of our company has a Wing cat setup and he loves it. Not much info, but a bit.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Of the rafters I float with, one of them is a former owner of a rafting guide company and another one is a former long time guide. They are both gear heads who know everything there is to know about raft design, materials, and construction. They both own Wings.

·
Shapp
1,825 Posts
Chris, the tubes my friends had did not have a black top chafe pad, but a yellow one. Plus they are in Bear Valley, not Boise.

Different tubes.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Wing used to be a whitewater boat manufacturer, but they found more $$ in making other inflatable products for marine and military applications - mostly RIBs. They are polyurethane boats (IMHO the best boat fabric). I think they still make some large orders of rafts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O.K. wasn't sure cause you said the Owyhee which is one of the rivers people from Idaho run (mostly for fishing)
I really like the chafe pads on the one for sale how they wrap around the inside of the tubes. My frame would fit perfect on those (I'll post a pic)
so I am going to call and see what kind of deal I can get.
Sorry but I don't have any real good pics of my frame without piles if trash on it but basically it has a solid diamond plate floor and it's made out of aluminum but is heavy as hell. Plus you can probably see by the amount of trash, why I need such a stout frame :mad:
ll 155.jpg

ll 142.jpg
The tubes under it are made by Incept out of New Zealand
It's CL so people usually start high and meet 1/2 -3/4 of what they were asking anyway.
I'll post a pic if I get them.

Chris, the tubes my friends had did not have a black top chafe pad, but a yellow one. Plus they are in Bear Valley, not Boise.

Different tubes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've worked for Wing as a commercial guide in year's past. (Yes they also had a rafting company called Electric Rafting Company). Wings can be thrown off of rock cliffs, dragged behind cars, and given the pummeling of a lifetime and come out completely unscathed. These boats are made to last and as a guide find that they stay online, hold air, and are ridiculously durable. Which is most likely the reason the military was interested in picking up their products.

Now that their military contact is nearing the end I hear they are beginning to produce whitewater boats for private boaters again.

Like someone mentioned earlier buy it before someone else does. Plus being made in the US (Arcata, CA) is another reason to support them.

·
Shapp
1,825 Posts
A bit off the subject but you brought it up, Many stretches of the Owyhee are not about fishing but great whitewater, infact for most of the float season, fishing is poor (speaking as one who fishes for a job), but just before you can't get much but a kayak down, it is the biznitch! for smallmouth

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
O.K. that's officialy the most horrible thing I've ever listened to!
Dude! are you alll right???
I know I'm not after hearing that

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Wing topic

I've got a 20 year old wing that is peeling from UV's. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before and if I could just paint it with liquid Polyurethane? Or if anyone has any other suggestions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts