Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around on the internet for info on access to this stretch of river but with little luck. Anyone have link or info about it. It's on tribal land and there is only one commercial operator permitted but I am wondering about private use?

No access at all? Fee's for use/permit?

Anyone run it before?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Just heard that there are some access issues at wind river due to tribal land/easement disputes. Be sure your beta is up-to-date before departing...forest service may be good contact.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was looking into it one time and I believe you need to get a permit from the tribe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an older (91') guide book for WY and it says that you can get a private day permit for $40.00. It says to contact Reservation Fish and Game Department at Fort Washakie (307)332-7207. The permit does not include fishing. Not sure if the info is still correct but it's a start.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Corndog said:
I have an older (91') guide book for WY and it says that you can get a private day permit for $40.00. It says to contact Reservation Fish and Game Department at Fort Washakie (307)332-7207. The permit does not include fishing. Not sure if the info is still correct but it's a start.
Thanks for that info. google turned up an email address with that and the # seems up to date too. I'll post what the response is for anyone else who may be curious.

·
Registered
260 Posts
No access is basically the deal, they will not give any type of permit at all. It's a real bad deal because it's a great run especially at high flows, this april they did a flush and released 5-6 grand for a couple of days and I tried to get access but was shutdown. I even offered the Wind River Rafting Company a $150 per kayak access just to run it during the release but he was not intrested.

I had heard if you buy a fishing permit for the canyon that it gives access but on the permit it mentiones no kayaking.

If your in the area you will want to hit our local ditch, the flow is 1200 and it's going to hold that level untill October 15th. Also if your coming this way all of the clarks fork runs are really good.

Aaron Mulkey
Core Mountain Sports
Cody,Wy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wind River canyon

I ran the canyon once- it was unavoidable since I was paddling source to sea. I went through all of the frustrations of trying to get a permit and got sketchy verbal permission from tribal game and fish with the purchase of a fishing license. I say 'sketchy' because it depended on how one interpreted what the G&F agent said. I'm just glad I wasn't confronted. It's very difficult to poach because the put-in is a campground and the hosts have instructions to call authorities if anyone puts on. I avoided them by going commando at first light. The guy who runs the raft company often patrols the river by road to make sure nobody is on it. It was an incredible run (particularly in a 16' sea kayak) but probably not worth ending up in the vagaries of tribal court. I don't begrudge the tribe for limiting access since most of their land was blatantly stolen from them but it seems odd that they don't cash in on a permit system. There's little impact and it's a roadside run. The politics behind it is that the outfitter on the river is a tribal member and he wants to personally charge anyone who runs it but he's not willing to allow kayakers to tag along. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts