Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished what turned into an epic day on Willow. First off we met with the landowner. He's an odd duck, but basically just wants some respect. If you do this run, DO NOT park at the bridge where Willow meets the Elk. That is his property, it is clearly marked, so take out river left under the bridge where the Elk River Road meets Seedhouse Road. Also sometimes there is barbed wire at the Willow Creek bridge. Currently there is not ,so there is clear passage, and there should be no need to trespass on his property. Thirdly, if you encounter him, please be respectful, and I think he will respond accordingly. As for the run, be careful if you go in there right now. There is a fair amount of wood and one log in particular that caused some carnage today. It is in the rapid above the lead in to Whoopee Ridge. It's on river right and you can't see it till you're on it. There were three pins there today resulting in lost and broken equipment, but thankfully nothing worse. I know this run is considered fairly easy by today's standards, but it certainly has the capacity to show some teeth. Be heads up if you go!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Most of the run is pretty much read and run. I would say that Woopee Ridge, and it's lead in, deserves some scouting because of wood. I floated into the aforementioned submerged log and was under it before I knew it. There is probably well over 288 by the time you get to woopee. Considering the snow and related hike out factor, I would call Woopee a class V.

We gotta change that name.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Consensus at the takeout seemed to be that Whoopee Ridge was solid class V, with a significantly dangerous swim if you pin on that wood in the entry, five feet below a stopper hole that started the problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts