Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Greg. I've been in the Grand Canyon lottery for years, but have never gotten a launch permit. Cascade Outfitters suggested I try posting a message on this website. I've got an extended cab Ford F-150 4WD truck, a 16 ft. Maravia whitewater raft and all the necessary gear for an extended trip. I can also row a gearboat if necessary and I'm willing to throw in 2k in order to help pay trip expenses.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Canyon trips don't cost $2,000, and in the private permit stipulations it states that it's an equal cost and work share trip... trying to buy your way onto a trip is not only in bad form, but it's illegal... Just saying

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Since the title is willing to share expenses I take the two grand as proof of being willing to due a minimal to 5 star spare no expense trip which also happen.

it’s hard these days but don’t always have to assume the worst.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI... I'm trying to avoid paying big bucks for a 5-Star commercial trip. I fully understand the private boater permit cost-sharing stipulation. That said, I'm willing work, row and cook too. There's absolutely no illegal intent. If I can help finance a trip so be it. I'm also ready, willing and able to pitch in to make it happen...Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I try not to pay that much...but I've been invited on trips that cost nearly that much per person. Maybe better to say "up to $2000". Sounds like he's willing to work as hard as anybody on the trip...so I'd give Mr. Smith the benefit of the doubt.

Wish I had a 2021 trip for ya man. If you have some flexibility....that... plus some gear and a good attitude will defintely find you a trip. I recommend keeping an eye on the Grand Canyon Trip Participants Needed Facebook page too. You can post a desire...but more importantly keep an eye out for trip leaders looking for people to join their trip. Plenty of people who put in for a permit and win but don't have gear or experience and need to find people to make up for it.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I try not to pay that much...but I've been invited on trips that cost nearly that much per person. Maybe better to say "up to $2000". Sounds like he's willing to work as hard as anybody on the trip...so I'd give Mr. Smith the benefit of the doubt.
Sorry, and I should have given him the benefit of the doubt, likely all my years of being a river ranger that caused me to think that way. I apologize.

Most of the trips I've been on cost between $400.00 to $800 bucks as long as the folks own their own gear and don't have to rent it. This year's trip, fully outfitted by Moenkopi with the exception of my Dory, complete with a food pack, river house rental in flagstaff for the day before launch, and the day after takeout was $1477.00 per person. I did pay for my own shuttle, $350.00 additional, as I had to have my rig at the take out, can't load a dory into a flatbed as they did with all the other gear. I wasn't all that impressed with the menu, but then again I wasn't involved with creating it, the PH did that. 5 days of boiled seeds called "Quinoa" for breakfast wasn't my favorite thing, (I brought dehydrated food "just in case" which made life better) but most of it was good, hearty and there was never a shortage of food. MOE's equipment was top notch, and their service all in all was outstanding. Their lead guy Andrew went out of his way, time and time again to make everything perfect.

Again my apologies for baselessly jumping to conclusions. Hope you find a trip to your liking, the "Big Ditch" is truly a magical place that will warm your soul in ways you never thought possible. One thing not to discount though, is the group dynamics. Personalities tend to amplify like no other on a Grand Trip. Both good ones, and bad ones... Nothing worse than being on the river for 20+ days with a raving asshole you can't get away from. Pay attention to red flags, it's better to wait for a trip, than to go down with a bad one.

My 2¢, your mileage may vary.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,265 Posts
Lots of people on here can row and share costs. Best to offer something unique to the tribe. EMT, massage therapist, brewer, distiller, grower, pole dancer....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts