Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend left his 50 cal ammo can on a beach about 3/4 of a mile down from Miner's Cabin.
Past Miner's, there's 2-3 riffles, one that has a wide ledge drop on RL; just past this is a sandy beach on RR. That is where we pulled over and the last time we saw the can. It has wallets, cell phones, truck keys, etc. in it. If anyone is heading that way in the next few days, my friend is offering a reward for retrieving it.

Also, I found 2 straps at the takeout with Matt Pierce written on them- if that's you or you know him, pm me.

Thanks!

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Your buddy should call the ranger. They run that all the time.

Was that my ammo can? Mine is the one with the cayenne pepper in it.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I have your ammo can.

He is calling the ranger, but there wasn't even a ranger there to check us in Friday night or Saturday morning, which is weird for Westy, so I don't know if there's one out there now.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful. It was warmer than last year and still no one else was there. The water didn't even freeze over night. No carnage, which is good this time of year.

The only mishap was messing around on that beach and leaving the ammo can full of valuables!

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
No, I have your ammo can.

He is calling the ranger, but there wasn't even a ranger there to check us in Friday night or Saturday morning, which is weird for Westy, so I don't know if there's one out there now.
You had better hope that there ain't any green treats in that box with his driver's license.... them are federales out there.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hi,

The WW ranger station is closed for the season, and there will be no more BLM patrols until March, barring emergencies.

There still are folks running on weekends, though, so maybe you'll still be able to recover it.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
gulchradio.com

·
Registered
83 Posts
So what happened when you got to the take-out and all the keys and wallets were missing? It it was not such a pain in the ass, it would be pretty funny.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If there were any green treats in that can then i would've sniffed it out and gotten rid of it promptly. By myself.

I think she had her keys(she was driving) but her two buddies were not so lucky. I guess she paid all expenses on the way home??

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course I had my keys and wallet- I bought dinner in Moab afterward, but as it turns out, there may be more than a little green contraband in the ammo can- there might be a .22 pistol and cartridges (I don't know this for sure and I certainly didn't know they were there when we were on the river), but regardless, the offer of a reward stands from my buddy.

It is kind of funny... for me, but not for him, or for the other guy who put his wallet (with his ID) in the can.

Stu, is that you?

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I was impressed by the extraordinary way you almost didn't raft Sock it To Me upright. :p

I didn't know either- apparently the last time JB used that ammo can was to go hunting a few weeks ago and he just didn't take the pistol out before our trip.

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Does anyone know where you CAN'T take a pistol on the river? Grand Canyon? Deso? Lodore? Cat?

I want to bring a big 'ol hand cannon on my extended trip for fun in camp, but I don't want to break too many rules.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Does anyone know where you CAN'T take a pistol on the river? Grand Canyon? Deso? Lodore? Cat?

I want to bring a big 'ol hand cannon on my extended trip for fun in camp, but I don't want to break too many rules.
Any National Parks System prohibits firearms,with or without a concealed gun permit. But the exception to the law(s) is the word LOADED FIREARM and READILY ACCESSIBLE. Discharging a firearm is by legal locations and common sense.

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Thanks raymo. That's good info, as there are plenty of good shooting spots along the way that aren't in the park system. I'll try not to pull a Plaxico!

On this note I have to tell a story:
I drove the equipment in to the company property at the beach on the confluence of the Gauley and Meadow rivers for an overnight camp. We had this rowdy group of rednecks that were into Civil War reenacting. They had a potato gun, black powder rifles, and fireworks. Needless to say they had a fun night drinking moonshine and talking about the glorious confederacy. First thing in the morning a group of rafts land on the beach to take a break. I think they were from ACE. All of a sudden five or six grizzled, half drunk men come charging out of the woods dressed head to toe in their confederate greys screaming, yelling, and firing their rifles in the air! The rafters dove into their boats and dropped into Lost Paddle like they were running for their lives!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well, I was impressed by the extraordinary way you almost didn't raft Sock it To Me upright. :p

I didn't know either- apparently the last time JB used that ammo can was to go hunting a few weeks ago and he just didn't take the pistol out before our trip.

Haa,did you guys see me from back there? That was definitely the most i've ever been socked.

Well i wasn't lucky enough to have the two training wheels up in front!!! Ooooh<finger moustache>!!

Guns are bad,mmmk

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haa,did you guys see me from back there? That was definitely the most i've ever been socked.

Well i wasn't lucky enough to have the two training wheels up in front!!! Ooooh<finger moustache>!!

Guns are bad,mmmk
Yeah- we saw it. I guess I deserved that, but I don't think paddle support in November is a bad idea if there are two passengers anyway- better than swimming in icy water.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts