Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Kokatat Maximus Prime rescue PFD. I like it a lot, and understand the risks + how to use the rescue features. That being said, the intended purpose of the PFD is labeled 'Recreational Rescue.' There is no mention of paddling, rafting, kayaking, etc.

While I know it's suitable for whitewater rafting, is it going to pass one of the stricter NPS check-in inspections?

I'd hate to get screwed at check in over something like that...

·
Registered
83 Posts
This issue should just come down to what "type" flotation device you own. I think rescue pfd's are considered "type V". Any permit should state "type III" or "type V" pfd's are required. Does your vest have any information on the type?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Type matters but generally it also has to be labeled for the intended use. If you show up with a type III vest that says for water skiing you're hosed. Even if it says type 3 and obviously a river vest but the lettering about intended for paddling is worn off they might reject it.

I've never heard of recreational rescue so I'd keep asking to be safe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's why I ask. It's really odd to me that Kokatat didn't label it better. My girlfriend has the non-rescue version which is nearly identical, less the rescue belt and it's a type III, labeled for paddling.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I just looked at mine and didn't realize it does say "rescuers harness pfd". It's been down the Grand, Lodore, etc so I think you are set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The PFD will pass the requirements at the LoDore check-in.

"The Prime is a Type 5 rescue version of the Maximus PFD platform, which was designed with input from whitewater paddling champions Dane and Eric Jackson."

·
Registered
70 Posts
The PFD will pass the requirements at the LoDore check-in.

"The Prime is a Type 5 rescue version of the Maximus PFD platform, which was designed with input from whitewater paddling champions Dane and Eric Jackson."

I'm having a hard time understanding this new 'regulation' with PFDs.

So a PFD that had a label that states : "was designed with input from my super expert buddy and his lifelong bro partner that shred the whitewater gnar all the time" would suffice because it mentions whitewater use ?

Sent from my way cooler than yours smart phone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
58 Posts
ladore

There is no reasoning with a Lawhore river ranger. Drive out to above Brown's Park where there is cell service and text a photo of the vest to park headquarters. This strategy has worked in the past.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts