Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run to the right of the island at Wildcat. At higher water I hug the right bank at the bottom At lower water I aim toward that rock in the middle at the bottom of the rapid and pull away from it. I saw a bunch of dories still running to the far right at the bottom of the rapid at low water with no problem. We have had a few boats on my many trips get stuck on rocks quite a few times in Wildcat. This Sept. we had a guy stuck pretty bad on that large rock. Luckily we didn't need a Z drag. If we did, I don't know what I would have anchored to. We had 3 strong bucks on our trip pull him off. My friend said he had a boat on his latest trip wrap there and they used a Z drag anchored to a rock wedge gadget mountain climbers use. I need to buy some of these wedge rock anchors for my kit. I never run it left of the island. How do you all run it?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I run right, then right then right some more. Just stay off of the alligator rock and out of the spider bushes. At moderate flows I have run left and it is an easy route.

·
Registered
429 Posts
left

Hey RG - I always used to run right. I had an encounter with the rock many years back when I couldn't make up my mind if I was going left or right. I split the difference and got hung up there for a few minutes before oars and passenger paddles leveraged us off.

I've taken to running left of the entry island the last several years, even at lower flows. There are a few slalom moves you have to make to get through rocks and pour-overs the narrow channel, but they are kind of fun little moves without big consequences. The decision to go left of the big rock at the bottom is already made once you choose left of the island on entry.

Will you be at the Ducks/Huskies game this weekend? We'll be in our usual seats.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I generally run right of the island, and pretty far right, staying right of the wrap rock at the bottom of the island. It's possible to go left of the wrap rock, but you need to be ready/focused/committed to that move since it's easy to end up on the rock. I helped another group get their wrapped raft off the rock 2 years ago, we just used a rope and brute strength of 4 of us.

At flows of around 4000 cfs and higher, it's a very straightforward run left of the island.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've always been told right and far right. Far right gets tricky at the flows we have right now. I got stuck on a couple shallow rocks and a my buddy had to swing out left to miss me--he didn't make it back.

I think the best bet for the right line at these flows is to hug the island and then pull hard to the right most of the way down to sneak into the far right channel.

I got pulled off the wrap rock with a z-drag once and didn't see the anchor used. This last trip I used about 20' of throw rope to loop around a large chunk of bedrock with a notch in the back. I trust that sort of anchor more than climbing gear, and I know how to place climbing gear. As long as your team has enough rope you can almost always find a decent anchor at the correct angle. More important than having the gadgets is knowing your knots and how to equalize anchors both statically and dynamically.

I definitely intend to take a look at that left line one of these days because the right side is very tricky.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've always ran left of the island without any problems so far. I have never figured out why more people dont run left of the island.

·
Registered
429 Posts
wrap at Wildcat - a series of 4 videos from the same youtuber showing showing the results of hitting the big rock at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmUOMe4z_io

The same guy also has a video of Blossom showing what he says is his blue IK wrapped on the Picket Fence - the same boat you can see in some other recent Blossom vids. Those guys had a rough trip!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I usually just stand up and boat scout this class 2+ rapid. It's a read and run rapid at every level that I've run it. The only rapid that I scout on the Rogue is Blossom.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Tyee?

I usually just stand up and boat scout this class 2+ rapid. It's a read and run rapid at every level that I've run it. The only rapid that I scout on the Rogue is Blossom.
Agreed, but that rock can get you if you don't make a solid commitment. I found myself in the same place as that yellow boat in the video several years ago, and there was a fatality on that rock a few years back, although it sounded like a heart issue after the wrap from what I read.

The rapid I'm curious about is Tyee, just upstream. I've read from several commenters on here (and in the Leidecker guidebook) about Tyee being the one they are most concerned about on the river (over Blossom, Mule and Rainey?), and I just don't get it. The run is always a straight forward down the right side and pull off the right bank at the bottom. There is hole out there in the middle, which is why you have to run right, but I've never had an issue there in 30+ trips, none of my rafting party have ever had trouble there, and I've never seen any other boating party have trouble there. Can anyone tell me their story of what's happened to them there that gives them the willies?

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
What's the matter Oregon? Can't make it around rocks? Hehe, just talking trash after this Spring's post from Bucketboater: http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f42/colobrahdo-home-of-lost-boats-and-superbowls-53431.html

Don't wrap your boat, it sucks.
Fwiw, Ive never heard of wildcat rapid. Blossom and rainie are the only rapids on this river i know of and im making my 4th trip of the year next week. Only boats ive seen wrecked are poverty rmr's and saturns. Prolly a bunch of denver noobs. Locals run sotars and win superbowls.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Fwiw, Ive never heard of wildcat rapid. Blossom and rainie are the only rapids on this river i know of and im making my 4th trip of the year next week. Only boats ive seen wrecked are poverty rmr's and saturns. Prolly a bunch of denver noobs. Locals run sotars and win superbowls.
Nice. Stupid poverty rafters. Denver is my favorite city in the Midwest!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fwiw, Ive never heard of wildcat rapid. Blossom and rainie are the only rapids on this river i know of ...
When I did the W&S Rogue with 12 rank newbies (plus instructor/guides), Rainie, Blossom, and Black Bar were the only ones we scouted. Blossom was the only one where we had a guide in every boat (but not rowing).

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
That's because they're not class V bro... why would you have heard about them gnar boy? Interestingly it's apparently not just your class I people skills that are lacking. Lot's of people, extreme like you as well as normal folks, are aware of Wildcat; observe: Let me google that for you

·
Registered
235 Posts
I sneak it on the right at low water I have been hung up below the alligator rock but it is pretty easy to get off. I have run the Rogue probably 60 times. I have seen people stuck at Wildcat and Black Bar and Blossom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts