Mountain Buzz banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the AG's office in Idaho operates anything like the one in my home state, it would be a low key item that they wouldn't spend too much time/resources persuing. All my AG's office did in my case was to ask the company to "make it right" and when the company said "no thanks" - that was the end of it for the AG's. Don't expect much or quick if any resolution.

Step up up the game if you can afford the time and further frustration. Been there, done that.
Edit: The company at the center on the crap most likely doesn't have deep pockets - so don't spend more than you wish (hope) to receive.
Good point. If anyone is thinking of suing these clowns be aware that they are almost certainly judgement proof... aka nothing to lose aka brokeAF

·
Registered
12 Posts
Possibly I am mis-reading the post, but the shuttle incidents were all outside of the designated wilderness areas. State, Federal & public lands/roads/etc.. Just because the river runners will be entering a wilderness area doesn't mean all the time and travel (even out of state) to that point of entry and exit should be considered "river running" and immune from any/all assistance.

Edit: For my next MF trip, if my truck being shuttled ends up blocking Pistol Creek Rapid, I'll eat crow.
All of the vehicles shuttled and that have permits to float the river are using FS roads and are not on wilderness property. But feel free and contact Salmon Challis National Forest and pitch a fit about the conditions of their roads to Boundary and Corn Creek!

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
All of the vehicles shuttled and that have permits to float the river are using FS roads and are not on wilderness property. But feel free and contact Salmon Challis National Forest and pitch a fit about the conditions of their roads to Boundary and Corn Creek!
There was an earlier discussion about when the FS helps people, as in when they refused to move logs out of the river but seem to be going out of their way to help the stranded....maybe out of the purview of their 'duties' not an indictment of road conditions.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have not heard of what the USFS has done or are doing to assist the "stranded" beyond firing off an email to upcoming trip permitee's.warning of the issues with WRS. I would suppose they gave advise, directed folks to private resources/local law enforcement and other moral support. Seriously doubt they were using Fed vehicles to shuttle. anyone. As far as road conditions, they are typical for the location, use and abuse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would like to throw out a "Thank you" to Emily at the USFS in Salmon. I spoke with her on Friday trying to track down 3 remaining vehicles from my buddies trip. (4th one was in the police impound) She emailed Corn Ck and got back to me within the hour confirming they never left Corn. She called me again this morning (Monday)at 07.30 to confirm that it was in fact the vehicle owners that retrieved the vehicles from Corn at 01:45 in the morning and not Wild Rivers. We all like to bitch about govt depts (usually justifiable) but Emily's initial assistance and follow up was most appreciated.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not buying their statement! No probability to make it right (totaled vehicle, monies missing, damages to vehicles/trailers, excessive mileage, missing items, cancelled trips & etc.).

Edit: Damn, forgot to mention taxpayer dollars on vehicle round-up's and other shuttle service/raft companies pitching in to help and countless other private individuals and businesses graciously helping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have not heard of what the USFS has done or are doing to assist the "stranded" beyond firing off an email to upcoming trip permitee's.warning of the issues with WRS. I would suppose they gave advise, directed folks to private resources/local law enforcement and other moral support. Seriously doubt they were using Fed vehicles to shuttle. anyone. As far as road conditions, they are typical for the location, use and abuse.
The public lands dispatch office and staff at Boundary Creek were providing an updated and ongoing list of vehicles at Boundary Creek to the Lemhi Sheriffs Office which was how I was able to confirm the location of our groups vehicles.
Once found the staff at boundary secured my vehicle so that Wild Rivers could not drive it and left a note saying it was no longer in need of a shuttle.

·
My name isn't Will
532 Posts
Not buying their statement! No probability to make it right (totaled vehicle, monies missing, damages to vehicles/trailers, excessive mileage, missing items, cancelled trips & etc.).
I think they mean they are prepared to pay their debt to society. They may get three hots and a cot. Maybe some community service when they get out…. Shoveling out snow from the road to Boundary the next few springs.

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think they mean they are prepared to pay their debt to society. They may get three hots and a cot. Maybe some community service when they get out…. Shoveling out snow from the road to Boundary the next few springs.
Highly unlikely, but certainly about right!

I can reserve judgement just a tad longer, as I can’t imagine that this will last. If, and that is a HUGE if, they are sincere, then they need to spell out exactly what they mean by “doing everything we can to right our wrong”! Talk is cheap, and these sorts of “issues” take some very substantial action to “make things right”. For everyone involved my fingers are crossed, but I won’t be holding my breath that they can ever make it right for those who were royally screwed!

Either way, one other thing that really concerns me here is the fact that both law enforcement and Forest Service were needed to get involved. That’s not a good situation as far as either is concerned! I can imagine the kinds of conversations that a series of fiascos like this might inspire amongst various governing agencies… These are precisely the sorts of situations that result in additional regulations and requirements in the name of safety, consumer protection, etc. If/when that does happen, our shuttle costs will undoubtedly go up…

·
Registered
774 Posts
According to some people in a thread from earlier this year... since this is a wilderness area none of the those organizations should have been helping people or dealing with incidents that happened while river running. They don't have the time or funding to be "just out helping and dealing with random hazards and problems people got themselves into".

Sorry... still a little peeved with the reaction some Mtnbuzz members had when I implied that the Forest Service should be in charge of removing a riverwide log.
Still losing sleep over that one? How is the USFS using resources and risk to remove a log from a river that nature put there INSIDE a wilderness boundary the same as the USFS assisting other LEO agencies OUTSIDE a wilderness (but still in the USFS ranger's forest) boundary by emailing plate #s of vehicles at put-ins and take-outs and emailing permit holders of a possible reported (by many people) hazard?

#whataboutism

The rangers have always notified me of reported river hazards at the put-ins and prior if it warranted an email. Like when someone renigs on shuttle contracts and leaves people without transportation. Enough times by the same company and it may warrant a headsup to permit holders. It appears to me LEO is taking it from there and if laws were broken, the LEOs, not USFS, will probably have that responsibility as well.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Still losing sleep over that one? How is the USFS using resources and risk to remove a log from a river that nature put there INSIDE a wilderness boundary the same as the USFS assisting other LEO agencies OUTSIDE a wilderness (but still in the USFS ranger's forest) boundary by emailing plate #s of vehicles at put-ins and take-outs and emailing permit holders of a possible reported (by many people) hazard?

#whataboutism

The rangers have always notified me of reported river hazards at the put-ins and prior if it warranted an email. Like when someone renigs on shuttle contracts and leaves people without transportation. Enough times by the same company and it may warrant a headsup to permit holders. It appears to me LEO is taking it from there and if laws were broken, the LEOs, not USFS, will probably have that responsibility as well.
yeah.... a real Conundrum isn't it. 🙄 ;)

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I can imagine the kinds of conversations that a series of fiascos like this might inspire amongst various governing agencies… These are precisely the sorts of situations that result in additional regulations and requirements in the name of safety, consumer protection, etc. If/when that does happen, our shuttle costs will undoubtedly go up…
I've had the same thought.

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
371 Posts
Because I just can't get enough of this saga.... are they having reviews removed from Google? Last night someone took a screenshot of their Google reviews. They had 85 reviews with a 3.0 rating. Today (exactly 12 hours later haha), I took a screenshot and they had 71 reviews with a 3.4 rating. As of this posting they now have 72 reviews and still with the 3.4 rating.

Last night at 6:35pm:
Product Font Communication Device Screenshot Gadget

This morning at 6:35am:
Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia Technology

Their status also went from "Permanently Closed" to "Temporarily Closed".

Am I missing something? What is their rating showing for you?

121 - 140 of 173 Posts