Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I had to use a new company this year due to short notice on a cancellation and had a great experience with Rubicon out of Riggins.
That is good to hear... my early august trip is using them too. Only thing I wasn't stoked on was them advertising it at $350 until you went to check out and they tack on a $21 "Service Fee". I think they helped rescue my buddy's trip that got stranded by Wild River at Spring Bar for two days. Rubicon went to get trailer and brought them to Riggins and helped them arrange to go get their vehicle.

Somehow... their vehicle got left at a "staging area" at the turn off to Boundary with no ETA on when that vehicle might make it to Riggins. I guess that route is an option for a Main Salmon shuttle... but still don't really understand how a vehicle could get left there. They ended up having to go get their vehicle there and there was a bunch of other vehicles "staged" with it as well.

So many horror stories in the last two months... a truck left near the boat ramp on the main that was close enough where the water came up and both truck and trailers tires were in the water, vehicles left anywhere but where they were supposed to, gas money taken but no gas put in the tank, and a bunch of attitude from the company when confronted about this.

To put it nicely....I think its time for them to hang up their hat and take down their shingle... I know a few people who are now hell bent on putting them out of business after their experience.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I think every shuttle company has incidents they wish they hadn't let happen but at least as of right now... I haven't heard of any other then Wild River that I wouldn't be happy to use.

Stuff is gonna happen and wires get crossed.... it is all about how you handle it when it happens. I've had shuttles screwed up in the past... but the shuttle company went out of its way to make it right.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If possible... might be a good idea to tell the folks still on the Main that might be effected by this to first check at Carey Creek to see if their vehicle is there or not and if it isn't to float down to Riggins. At current flows the rapids don't have any more consequence then the ones they've already ran and they will end up closer to a place where they can get help without having to be transported. You can get cell signal a few miles up stream of Riggins and its an easy walk into town from Shorts Bar or you could even go down to the Town Park ramp (not a great spot for the whole group to go, but maybe one or two boats). It is another 20 miles 3-5 hours and certainly less then half a normal river day's float from Carey Creek.

I haven't heard everyones story yet.... but I haven't seen a single group do this. I realize that having shuttle issues is no fun, but when this kinda stuff occurs some "radical self reliance" is needed and that seems like an obvious answer. The other rivers involved are a bit harder since they don't have a town downstream or have a rapid like Selway Falls to keep you from navigating downstream.... but the Main does.

I've been there a few times and it sucks. Once on a Main trip where they delivered my vehicle to a different takeout and another time when the shuttle company assumed we canceled due to high water (despite a confirmation email saying we were indeed going) so they never shuttled our vehicle. The shuttle company(to be unnamed...same one both times though and is among the ones being recommended as reliable) "made it right" both times and took care of me/us albeit in a much longer time period then expected.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
From my experience the only thing that outmatched Wild Rivers Shuttles criminal and totally dysfunctional operation was how law enforcement, the forest service, and all of the other guide/shuttle companies came together to assist stranded rafters.

The Custer County Sheriffs Office, Lemhi County Sheriffs Office, the Forest Service staff at the public lands dispatch office and Boundary Creek, Idaho Adventures, Rubicon Outfitters, Orange Torpedo Trips, River Shuttles, Blackadar Boating, and Caldwell Transportation all did everything they could to help me organize a last minute shuttle of 5 vehicles. At the very minimum they pointed me in the right direction and gave me valuable insight into what exactly was going on with Wild River Shuttles.

Ultimately, Idaho Adventures arranged a crew last minute and shuttled our 5 rigs the night before the group took out. They did an awesome job.
According to some people in a thread from earlier this year... since this is a wilderness area none of the those organizations should have been helping people or dealing with incidents that happened while river running. They don't have the time or funding to be "just out helping and dealing with random hazards and problems people got themselves into".

Sorry... still a little peeved with the reaction some Mtnbuzz members had when I implied that the Forest Service should be in charge of removing a riverwide log.

I agree that it was pretty awesome that these law enforcement and management organizations took time away from their other responsibilities to really make a difference and help these people out. I think people far too often have a negative experience with law enforcement and its always nice to see when it goes the other way. I still think they spend too much time making life hard for people who probably don't deserve it sometimes... but its nice to see them be genuinely helpful and protective.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Still losing sleep over that one? How is the USFS using resources and risk to remove a log from a river that nature put there INSIDE a wilderness boundary the same as the USFS assisting other LEO agencies OUTSIDE a wilderness (but still in the USFS ranger's forest) boundary by emailing plate #s of vehicles at put-ins and take-outs and emailing permit holders of a possible reported (by many people) hazard?

#whataboutism

The rangers have always notified me of reported river hazards at the put-ins and prior if it warranted an email. Like when someone renigs on shuttle contracts and leaves people without transportation. Enough times by the same company and it may warrant a headsup to permit holders. It appears to me LEO is taking it from there and if laws were broken, the LEOs, not USFS, will probably have that responsibility as well.
yeah.... a real Conundrum isn't it. 🙄 ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts